Sunday, 12 April 2015

Ramblings on Gratitude - week 15

Coming weeks these words will dominate my thoughts: affirmation, attention and affection.

In trying to make a better world around me, giving all to ‘the others’ (reference to #Lost), I’ve lost a sense of myself. I’m on a new journey and re-discovering myself. I need to pay more attention to myself.  Act on what makes me really happy. I really need to stop picking up the emotions of ‘the others’ and focus on those I have. I’m sensitive to those who surround me.  I sometimes get lost trying to figure out if I’m solving my own problem or that of ‘the others’. I’m slowly starting to understand it is not my own problem I’m tackling. The resistance I encounter is actually not mine but theirs. Wow, getting lost in my trail of thought.  That happens to me often too. My thoughts get all jumbled.

I can not always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on insideWayne Dyer. My affirmation ~I attract only peace into my life. I need to remind myself of this many times a day. I need to practice this at work, while doing errands, shopping and standing in line at the check-out, greeting new people, driving my car, taking the elevator, talking with people on the phone. I need to remind myself of this affirmation many times on a given day.

Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. Have the courage to follow your own heart and intuition.” Steve Jobs. This quote popped up on my Momentum dashboard. Have you discovered Momentum? Do check it out.

I have mental toughness! But you knew that didn’t you? Like so many of you, I too get slapped by the irrational or unfairness of what ‘the others‘ put out there. Irrational people suck the life out of me. I go numb and tune out at meetings. And now I will suffer the consequences! At least that is what they want me to think. Lucky for me I developed over time the inner strength to respond to adversity in a resilient and dignified way. I’m taking responsibility and not blaming myself or ‘the others‘ for everything that happens. I’m creating a calming space for me to be at my best. I’m moving forward with focused action. I’m learning from this experience and developing new skills that will serve me well in the future. I will not join and mimic bad behavior. I’m choosing to spend time with like-minded peers. I’ve found my gift; I’ve found my purpose. I have the ‘grit’ to get there.  For that I’m grateful.  

Brené Brown again is able to voice what is happening to me. “If we are brave enough, often enough, we will fall”. ~ Rising Strong ~ is the book about what it takes to get back up. I want a ‘wholehearted life’. I know I’m on track but just in case I will go and read her new book. Sadly I have to wait till coming September when it is released.

I am the woman in the arena!



It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt, 23 april 1910.

I am a gladiator. If you are curious, just look up the traits of a gladiator. But to be cheeky, gladiators always do the right thing, they step up and make tough decisions, they lead by example, they respect and appreciate the efforts of others and they learn what works and implement replicable processes to succeed. Gladiators have a mission for which they feel real passion. Gladiators create a vision. Gladiators lead from the front, they don’t dictate from the back! Gladiators know there is strength in teams and encourage risk-taking. Gladiators keep their heads in a crisis and prepare for battle 24 hours a day. But most important gladiators are teachers and mentors. Greg Smith.


So with affection I will step into the arena again and again. I am a gladiator!

No comments: