Saturday, 8 March 2014

Quick Trapunto Quilting: learning to make a quilt pop!

Trapunto, from the Italian for "to embroider," is a method of quilting that is also called "stuffed work". In Latin is means "to prick with a needle" Trapunto is a stuffed quilting technique which may be done by hand or machine that creates a noticeably raised design. Giving great texture to quilts! Trapunto is often confused with the relatively similar techniques used in making traditional whole cloth Provençal quilts that were developed from the 17th century onwards in France.

You can find more about Trapunto on this site. Thanks, Angela Mitchell for sharing. Another tutorial can be found here. Michèle-Renée Charbonneau has a blog that I will be following on Feedly from now on. Loved this modern feel in this tutorial.

But as most of you know by now I prefer hand quilting to machine quilting. I love traditional handicrafts. Therefore I naturally had to share this site with you: Trapunto by hand.

You must be wondering by now why I’m writing about Trapunto. Well, last Wednesday I attended one of the quilt classes I’ve signed on for 2013-2014. Jobina, who is momentarily my quilt teacher, is teaching us how to do the quick Trapunto technique.

Here is her sampler.

photo 10

And here is mine. It will be a small sampler 75 x 75 cm (29.5 x 29.5 inches).  No, I’m not starting with another quilt!!

photo 08

photo 07

Naturally we had a quick "show and tell".

One of my classmates is using old fabric from old clothes and cutting them in strips and making this.

photo 01

photo 02

She is still contemplating what to make from this newly created pieces of fabric. Jobina, suggested a big bag. Like the one in this picture. 

photo 03

photo 04

Three of my classmates are doing a workshop "Stadje bouwen" = village building.

photo 05 

photo 06

Looking forward to my next Trapunto lesson!

No comments: