Sunday, 22 September 2013

Flow – the secret to happiness

It has been a while! The main reason for not blogging the past weeks is because of my new job. You could say I’m still finding my way. One thing is becoming clear, I love teaching and the interaction with the students. I’m definitely being challenged. I love being in this learning zone. Being able to observe, experiment, compare, learn, & enjoy. Love being challenged by the unknown, unfamiliar and even getting unexpected feedback. Every class session is unpredictable and I’m now getting to the stage that I’m challenged further to take some risks & experiment.

It will therefore take me a little more time to get (back) into my flow zone.

In 1975, the Hungarian psychology professor Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi outlined his theory of ‘Flow’ in his seminal work: ‘Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience’. He defined it as ‘‘the holistic experience that people feel when they act with total involvement.’’ When in the flow state, people become absorbed in their activity, narrowing their awareness to the activity itself, making them lose self-consciousness and feel in control of their environment.

I’m pretty sure I’ve got this book somewhere in my bookcase.

I’ve stumbled on happiness again. People seem to see it and feel it, when they look at me. I know by now that I won’t be able to hold onto this state forever, but I’m really hoping I can hold onto it for a little while longer.

I’ve learned that outside of my comfort zone is where the magic happens. Because life holds special magic for those who dare to dream.

Do you dare to dream and find the magic?

I’m glad I changed my situation and that I’m being challenged again.

 

1 comment:

quiltingmieke said...

piep,

Dah helen, kwam al surfend op jouw blogs terecht, ben je volger geworden want een heel leuk blog.

Ik ben een kleine maand geleden aan de DJ Begonnen en ben nu op zoek naar en virtuele disignwall voor op mijn blog.

Nu zoe ik dat jij er op je Jane-blog eentje hebt...

zou ik mogen vragen of je soms die layout met me zou willen delen met een woordje uitleg,
lijkt me leuk hem te kunnen plaatsen op mijn blogje, culipatch.

alvast bedankt meid en en een fijne zondag

knuf mieke

mijn email

martinevanreet@telenet.be