Sunday, 25 August 2013

Zutphen

Friday was one of the last trips to Zutphen this year.


View Larger Map

I parked in my usual spot! And when you get out of the car, you see this: the Sint Walburgis Church. This is one of the largest and oldest churches in the city and dates from the eleventh century. I love Zutphen! Did you know that Zutphen has one of the best preserved medieval town centres of North-Western Europe? 

IMG_3352

The two spires of the Sint Walburgis Church

IMG_3354

The Drogenapstoren build in 1444-1446. It functioned as the south city gate for a short while when Zutphen was still a fortified town.

IMG_3355

See the bronze statue on your right in the picture below? That is Thonis Drogenap statue, made by Oscar Rambonnet and placed there in 1999. 

IMG_3357

We had a look in the shop ‘de Pelikaan’. I however forgot to buy some coffee, when we were unable to find a table to have lunch, and left to go find another lunchroom.

IMG_3359

Walked through the courtyard with almshouses. Yes, ‘het oude bornhof’ which is located very near Petra Prins Patchwork & quilt shop. I’m sure you have seen some other pictures I’ve posted. But these ones show another view.

IMG_3361

IMG_3365

Lunch at Gasterij De Gracht. I would never have found this place if I wasn’t with Mirjam.

IMG_3367

A smiling quiltmaker! A friend who I’ve known for 26 years! How great to share this interest for quilting.

IMG_3368

Getting some fabric at Petra Prins Patchwork & Quilt shop. Kris helped me decide how much fabric I might need for one of my little side projects!

IMG_3370

And than the sad news! Because of my induction for my new vocation, I’ve had to decide to drop-out of the Dear Jane Group. I wanted to inform Bep & Gerda myself. Sadly, Bep & Gerda were not in the shop Friday, so I asked Kris if she would pass on the message.

I expect to be very busy in my new job the next 3 months. As I’m taking the train to get to work, Zutphen is no longer very accessible for me. This means I would not be able to join the club on the following Fridays: 27th of September, 25th of October, 22nd of November or the 20th of December. You now know there is a spot/vacancy if you are interested. Just contact Bep or Gerda to see if you can join.

Without the inspiration of the other Janiacs, I will have to find the motivation another way to continue with my baby Dear Jane. Would love to hear from you if you have any suggestions how to motivate myself when you continue on by yourself.

A picture of a block in progress. You can read more about E5 – Rising Star, here.

photo1

A picture of some blocks that I have finished. Can you see them on top of the quilt top?

photo2

3 comments:

ruthsplace said...

I schedule time for my hand piecing. So make an appointment with myself to spend time on it at a regular time each week. It helps form a habit and ensures that it gets worked on regularly.

Berna said...

Spannend! Een nieuwe baan....
Heel veel succes.

Sunshine & Fabric said...

Your Dear Jane blocks are coming along. Lovely.
Great post about Zutphen....lovely photos.