Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Waiting in Gratitude

IMG_9544_text&touch

Every one of us at many points in our lives and careers have waited – for that job offer, the outcome of an exam, in line, to hear from your boss, for that advancement (promotion), for hubby to come back from his bicycle ride (after nearly 2 hours), the promise of love (luckily that is behind me), the offer of marriage, receiving your doctorate, to rekindle your career. The list can be endless. We all experience this. The waiting can take minutes, hours, sometimes days or months, and in some cases even years!

Waiting is a strange phenomena!

Then one day, the waiting ends, and the verdict arrives. I’m waiting in anticipation! Will I be celebrating or ensued by sadness? The anticipation is excruciating at some times, but it also allows me to enjoy the moment. 

I’m starting to become resilient to waiting.

Who do I become when I’m waiting? Firstly I go through all the stages of grief (Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance) than I become impatient. I want to start. Get on with it. I love a new challenge. I’m naturally curious. I love planning for a new goal. I like the sense of control and direction. I feel independent (autonomous). However I don’t like the anxiety that comes with waiting.  The uncertainty of the outcome makes the waiting seem endless.

“…of all the hardships a person had to face none was more punishing than the simple act of waiting.” - (Khaled Hosseini)

How do I find a way to live each moment unrestrained despite the looming, unknown outcome?

  • By knowing it will all turnout okay (eventually)
  • Having a strong belief in myself and my abilities
  • Believing I’m not alone!
  • Knowing who I am and who I’m not
  • Having the ability to adapt to change without fearing the loss of core goals and values
  • Faith and trust in myself
  • Knowing when to ask for help
  • Focussing on the future 
  • Knowing when to let go
  • Enjoying my endless curiosity and desire to learn

I’ve made peace with the unknown. Because "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." (Charles Darwin).

Over and over again I’ve been able to forge a path back into this world and see all the possibilities and opportunities that come my way – with gratitude.

After some quality time I’m now better able to handle this time of waiting. Faith grows wider in the waiting! I am again proactive, organized, flexible, focused and positive.

Who do you become when you are waiting? 

PS – I’m still waiting with anticipation. By okay with it.

1 comment:

quilter501 said...

Hopefully waiting will be positively rewarded. But I always remember that rejection is just saving me for a bigger joy ahead that wouldn't be there if the rejection hadn't occurred.