Friday, 24 May 2013

What now?

I’m again at a impasse in my life. What do I do in these situations, I search for reinforcement to distract me from feeling lost & alone. I’m not the only one who has read the book that Ann Patchett has published that is based on her lauded commencement address at Sarah Lawrence College. This book is popping up on a lot of blogs I come across and am following. Is this coincidence? I think not.

Ann Patchett offers hope and inspiration for anyone at a crossroads, whether graduating, changing careers, or transitioning from one life stage to another. I came across this book just at the right time, for I’m at a crossroads especially regarding my career. Am I really who I am or am I actually living the life I think others expect me to have. My desire for social acceptance sways my internal compasses. This might be the reason I can’t decide which way to go.

I trust the natural order of the universe. I’m convinced that I will find an answer to the question: what now? This difficult phase and its challenges will pass I’m sure. The possibilities that now have been set into motion are endless. Choices, choices! Yesterday I received clarity. Another chapter comes to a close. Again I ask, what now? One thing is for sure, I have no idea where I’m going at the moment.

My solution, is to go out there and find it. I’ll keep on searching till I’m convinced that I’ve found it (again). It is wise advice that Ann Patchett gives – ‘we need to hear other people, all people, especially in those moments when we don’t know exactly where we’re going ourselves. When is comes to finding our way we’re better off taking in as much information from as many sources as possible’.

It is a little scary to take the first step, especially as I don’t have a clue what I will find.

So the best I can hope for ‘is to be graceful and brave in the face of all of the change that will surely come’.

Have you read this book?

I hope I’ve encouraged you to read it. It is a page turner. I’m sure you will find other insights and encouragements.

The next couple of weeks I’ll be talking with lots op people and listening and re-charging my batteries. It is a little terrifying but I’m brave enough to take a leap of faith to identify my heart’s truest desire.

Ending this post with this last thought I want to share. Do you know where you are going? From past experience I can say I’m looking forward to this part. I’m actually glad I’ve come to another crossroads! I love exploring and discovering new things! I’m a curious person and love seeking knowledge. Maybe in this admittance lies the answer Wink

“The courage of life is often a less dramatic spectacle than the courage of a final moment; but it is no less a magnificent mixture of triumph and tragedy. A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all morality.”  John F. Kennedy

2 comments:

Jane in Wales said...

I know exactly how you feel. For a long time I felt the same, until I became a Christian and started reading and studying the bible and finding out God's purpose for me, and found the real knowledge. From then on everything started to make sense.

Sue said...

I know how you feel too. Although I'm a lot older than you I find I ask myself the question every day( what am I supposed to be doing)- since I lost my husband I seem to have lost my purpose in life. Every day is a new beginning and eventually we all find a true purpose to life.
Hope yours is found and fulfilled soon.