Sunday, 28 April 2013

Workshops Di Ford

On Wednesday and Thursday we followed two workshops given by Di Ford.

I managed to get a copy of her book, Primarily Quilts, just before our first workshop.

Pinned Image

If the the front cover is this stunning, the rest of the book has to be too, I guess. There are 16 quilts to admire and make.

index_Primarily Quilts

Like many others, I couldn’t wait to get my own personal, signed copy! Look here is my copy being signed. Thanks hubby, for this great birthday present.

IMG_1908 

signed copy_primarily Quilts

The Fussy Cutting workshop

To fussy cut is to target and cut a specific motif that's printed on fabric, rather than randomly cutting yardage as we normally do.

This is what we are going to learn to make. I’m talking about the centre block. In the book there are a lot of other examples, but we are lucky to get a first peek of this new quilt.

IMG_1879

Some of the fabrics from our kit. Some are very rare and from Di’s personal collection. Feeling very special at this moment!

IMG_1880

Guess who joined the class. Do you recognize her? I’m talking of the lady on the left side of Di Ford.

IMG_1883

Learning how to search for that special unique part of the fabric to use in your design. Need to get one of these special rulers Smile. According to Di, you don’t need to go to your local quilt store for this notion. They are available at any office supply shop.

IMG_1889

IMG_1882

See here, I’ve drawn the outline for my vase!

IMG_1881

Always have to check admire the back side too Wink

IMG_1885

We are all looking very attentive, don’t you think?

IMG_1894

IMG_1896

Learning how to fussy cut a border for the block.

IMG_1899

Learning how to fussy cut. Never use rotary cutters to do this, ladies! Di uses Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors! They have been ordered!  Embarrassed Hope to get my own pair soon.

IMG_1902

My effort for this afternoon!!! I appliquéd a part of a stem. Did you notice that I also drew the outline of the pattern on the fabric?

IMG_1898

Broderie Perse (French for "Persian embroidery")

The second workshop! Broderie Perse, is a style of appliqué embroidery which uses printed elements to create a scene on the background fabric. The technique could be considered an early form of puzzle piecing. Broderie perse can be done with any printed fabric on any ground, but it originally was worked with Chintz type fabrics. Chintz typically has clearly defined, separated motifs, which were cut out and invisibly applied onto the ground fabric. The typical intention was to create a scene from the motifs, but the decoration could also be random.

IMG_2044

Had to post this photo. I just love the floral tunic Di Ford is wearing in this workshop. But back onto the subject on hand. We are going to learn how to make this centre block.

IMG_2068

IMG_2047

IMG_2048

IMG_2049

See the fussy cut borders between the blocks?

IMG_2053

A picture of the finished quilt will be e-mailed to each class member once Di has finished it. Di didn’t have enough time to finish this newly designed quilt of hers before her trip to Europe. We are so lucky to have a sneak peek of this quilt in progress during this workshop and be one of the first to make our own version.

Some other quilters, listening to the translation given in French.

IMG_2043

There are two ladies in this picture who I will meet on Friday during lunch! At the time of the picture I didn’t know that yet Surprised

Di Ford showing us some other Broderie Perse blocks.

IMG_2056

IMG_2059

IMG_2060

Di showing me how to do needle turn stitch. She is making a start on my sampler of my very own Broderie Perse! Needle turn appliqué, is one of the most traditional methods of appliqué. It's quite portable, and requires very little prep. But it does take practice! It seems I’m not using the right thread! Thread? Most love using silk thread for this hand work. Others prefer using cotton thread. Di Ford uses Aurifil, but Gutermann’s Sulky Cotton Threads will do the job too. IMG_2063

Still wouldn’t mind owning one of these kits

 

A lot of well known designers have assembled their own kits that you can buy nearly every where. Check out this site: http://www.aurifil.com

Trying to make those tiny perfect needle turn stitches, using a thread that Di Ford gave me Smile.

IMG_2064

The finished result!

IMG_2067

Will be posting my second day adventures soon!

2 comments:

Debby said...

Wow, jij bent een bofkont om die workshop te kunnen volgen! Ooit hoop ik ook zo' n workshop te volgen....

Groetjes Debby

suz said...

Lovely. I have yet to master needle turn applique. I'd love to be able to do it, but I'm still more comfortable with the starch method.