Sunday, 28 April 2013

Day 1 – Pour l’Amour du Fil

On Tuesday we drove down to Le Mans so that we would arrive bright and early in Nantes on the 24th of April. Wednesday was our first day! When we parked in front of the hotel to ask for directions to the parking garage we saw this.

IMG_1816

IMG_1818

Nantes, Rue de Jemmapes, walking towards Le Square for lunch.

IMG_1819

I love the green colour of freshly blooming trees in spring. Also love this very French building style Smile.

IMG_1820

IMG_1821

My travel buddy!

IMG_1822

A French bagel!

IMG_1825

The entrance!

IMG_1829

The reason for our visit, the Dear Jane expositionWink. I decided to post only a few of the many pictures I took of some of the baby Jane Quilts!

IMG_1844

IMG_1861

IMG_1866

IMG_1846

IMG_1853

IMG_1856

IMG_1840

Did you notice how this quilter solved the problem of sewing the tiny blocks? Yes, if you look up close you can see this quilter embroidered the star points. 

IMG_1872

This quilter used reverse appliqué! Maybe I should have tried that?

IMG_1873

This quilter patched worked this block.

IMG_1874

My progress on the block that is shown above Tongue out! By the way, I’m appliquéing the diamond blocks.

IMG_1717

In my next post I will post some pictures of the Di Ford workshops I went to. If I post them in this post, this will become a very long post!

After the workshop on Wednesday, we walked around and ended up finding Linda Collins in Mary Koval’s booth. Made a lunch date for Friday to meet all the other international quilters Smile . We naturally had to take a picture of us four.

IMG_1912

Check out Linda’s blog, here. I met Linda 2 years ago in Houston at the Quilt Festival, after responding to her call on her blog. Last year we met again for a chat in Zutphen and this year in Nantes. Where will our next meeting be?

Don’t you just love those lovely antique quilts in the background? I admired the red and white one behind me a couple of times. The other lovely lady I met was Mary Koval (on the right of Linda). Check out her website here. On Friday I will learn that she is indeed a leading expert in the field of American Quilts and Antique fabric. More on my next post!

Because of the amazing good weather, we decided to go on a walkabout! Here are some shots of the scenery I came across.

The old LU bakery

IMG_1916

Who knows the name of this building?

IMG_1919

IMG_1920

Lots of things are in bloom. Love spring!

IMG_1921

IMG_1923

IMG_1924

Rue Henri IV

IMG_1925

IMG_1926

Awesome pictures of the Presbytère de la Cathèdrale Saint Pierre et Saint Paul de Nantes.

IMG_1927

IMG_1928

Rue de l’Évêché

IMG_1930

The front of the Cathedral!

IMG_1931

IMG_1933

IMG_1934

IMG_1936

Château des Ducs de Bretagne

IMG_1940

IMG_1941

An interesting looking duck? Is this a Carcaca duck? Who knows???

IMG_1943

Night view from our room Smile

IMG_1945

IMG_1946

Hope to see you back for my next post.

3 comments:

Annelies said...

Thank you for those beautiful pictures !

Essie's Quilts said...

Helen,
Thanks for sharing the pictures of the show, especially the ones of the Dear Janes.
Absolutely stunning, must have been impressive to see so many of them together!
I too am using reverse applique in some of my blocks.

suz said...

What a lovely city! It seems the knitters had themselves a great time! Amazing Dear Jane quilts.