Sunday, 24 March 2013

Being me!

I identify myself more as an introvert. Introversion is "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life". Some characterize introverts as people whose energy tends to expand through reflection and dwindle during interaction. I realize that no one is completely an introvert or extravert, but rather a mixture of both. But I lean toward being an introvert in the sense that to regroup or recharge, I go somewhere to hang out with myself. It may be a few hours or even a few days before I feel like I can go back out into the world. This is why: when you ask me to pay attention to you. I hear, ‘pay energy to me’! I try to please you and listen, but most of the time you suck out all the energy out of me. I need to gain that energy back with some time alone later.

At least a third to half of all people prefers to avoid the limelight, tends to listen more than they speak, feels alone in large groups, and requires lots of private time to restore their energy. I’m starting to recognize my inner strengths - my analytical skills, ability to think outside the box, and strong powers of concentration. Being in the limelight, stepping out on stage, asks more of me than most people understand.

Found a page on Facebook that I would love to share: https://www.facebook.com/IntrovertsAreAwesome

I would also like to share the TED talk that Susan Cain gave last February (2012).

I’m unable to described how I feel, when I listened to this. Wow, finally someone voiced how hard it is to live in a world where the man of action is favoured. Susan affirmed what I’ve been feeling for some time. I need to open my suitcase, and speak softly to you. The world is changing, and I see the world needs people like me. I need to make a choice and accept that at this time what gives me energy is something the world doesn’t give much value. I’m going to take it slow for a while and give my soul a chance to catch up, as you are hurting me. You have taken more that I can give.

What gives me joy: reading, writing, thinking and researching. I prefer solitude to large groups. The ‘thinking’ I can combine with quilting and walking. I need to pick-up these practices again, make time for them. I need to build a stronger wall around me so that I react less to social stimuli. I need to feel less guilty for not meeting up to others expectations. I’m choosing for me!

It was great to hear that it took Susan Cain 7 years to write her book. What is holding me back, to take the same step? The last months I’ve really tried to focus less on my job, but somehow I’m letting the ‘others’ convince me I should put in more hours. Maybe the time has come to say ‘no’! No more!

I need more time to re-energize! I need time to read, think, research, interview and write. I need to find that place that gives me BLISS (=complete happiness).

I’m going to walk the talk!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Great post. In, also, am an introvert, and I use quilting to recharge my battery too.

suz said...

I always thought there was something a bit wrong with me - thank you for this...it's nice to know I'm not alone and that it's okay to be like this!