Sunday, 17 February 2013

Abundance mindset

A grateful man has what an ungrateful man wants but cannot seem to find—enough.

I generally take things too seriously and let the opinions of others influence my decisions and outlook on life. I regularly need to remind myself of all the opportunities I have been afforded. I sometimes forget that I am truly blessed and that I have so much.

A sense of worth and plenty does not come with the accumulation of things; it comes with the knowledge of who you are apart from the things—the house, the job, the bank account, and even the family and circle of friends. To be grateful, you must look at what you have.

Happiness is not based on what you can hold in your hand. It is based on what you hold inside. It is not based on what you can get. It is based on what you can give.
Perhaps I have so much that I take my life for granted and focus on what more I could have (most of which doesn't matter) … and, in doing so, making myself miserable. My negativity sometimes becomes an obstacle.

It is funny to realize that what you focus on, you will see in your world. Since you can’t take in everything around you, your reticular activation system – your focus system in the mind – will bring into focus what you focus your thoughts on. I regularly only see what I’ve lost, what I don’t have any more or don’t have. Slowly I’m starting to recognize that all my losses and there have been a few, usually also contained my greatest opportunities.

Another quick way to revert from my pretty normal habit of negative thinking about what I don’t have is simply to appreciate. As I appreciate what I have, I naturally take care of it, nurture it, make it grow, and find joy in sharing it. Appreciating my food, life, my house, my friends and family and so on, creates a abundance mindset. This not only turns a sour mood into a more positive one within minutes, it also helps me notice opportunities that I’ve  missed or forgotten about. It creates a more open vibe within me, a vibe that makes it easier to focus on the abundance in my life. So, I have decided to make a habit of appreciating the things in my life, again – for a few minutes each day. I’m even  contemplating whether I should return to writing my ‘attitude for gratitude’ post. This will allow me to share my abundance, but it is also a reminder.  You all recognize that, for instance, when you experience a lack of joy, and you focus and think about the abundance of joy in your life, a mindset change takes place.  Soon crazy things start to happen. New ideas and opportunities are created. It’s almost a bit freaky how things that hold solutions for you – perhaps insights, knowledge, people – that have been there in the background for quite a while, just one day suddenly jump out at you.

At the moment I’m being very selective with what I put into my  mind. I’m busy creating my own – new – environment of abundance. I’m even seeking out new knowledge and people.

I’m noticing change!

Abundance is not something we acquire. It is something we tune into ~ Wayne Dyer

Love to hear your thoughts on this subject! Do you think I should pick-up my writing about my ‘attitude for gratitude’ again?

I’m ending this post by letting you know that I’m going to ponder on this question: list four or five aspects of your life that you consider most important. Will let you know what the outcome is in a future post.

1 comment:

suz said...

I'd love to see your "gratitude" posts again - I got a lot from them - you are very inspiring. It's so true that we can easily cause ourselves to feel bad. I remember a teacher once telling me that if I kept telling my brain that I was unworthy, my brain would quickly believe it...if I told my brain I was worthy...my brain would believe that instead.

You always give me food for thought!