Monday, 16 July 2012

Vacation

I have been back nearly two weeks and today I made time to write a post about my vacation.

We drove to Dunkirk, France; and took the boat to Dover, England. The first two nights we slept at friends, in Wingrave. We visited Wrest Park and I became a English Heritage member (again). If you haven’t been, try to plan a visit someday. It is really worth your effort. You will have a great time, as I did.


Grotere kaart weergeven

Once we arrived in Bala, Wales, we made day-trips. On our first day, we visited Trwyn Du Lighthouse at Penmon Point, Anglesey, Wales. It was a real shame we didn’t have better weather. Would have loved to have gone to Puffin Island. We also visited Beaumaris Castle. King Edward I started to build this castle in 1295. Wow, that is so long ago. Day two we went in Betws-y-Coed. Actually, you can’t miss this small village. Nearly all roads in northern Wales pass through this village. I bought my own wellies there. They have been on my wishlist for ever Happy.

IMG_9722

I also found some time to do some piecing!

IMG_9695  

On our third day I visited the Welsh Quilt Centre in Lampeter and met Jen Jones in person. Visited their main exhibition for 2012 – a quilted bridge - with Jane. You know Jane, from Jane’s Threads. After our visit, Jane and I went to the local tea shop next door. Look at the beautiful quilt tops she brought along.

IMG_9767

IMG_9768

If you happen to read this, Jane, it was great catching-up with you. Thanks for this meeting.

On the fourth day of our vacation we made a trip to Stoke-on- Trent. Back to England. It was only a 2 hour drive from Bala. I wanted to visit the factory of Emma Bridgewater. We strolled through the gift shop & factory outlet. Hubby tagged along. I was very much tempted to buy the Hen on Nest.  Black Toast Large Hen on Nest

But was able to resist buying it, as I found it a little too expensive and didn’t know where to put it. I can always order it online, if I change my mind Big Grin .

On the drive back to Bala we stopped at Beeston Castle.

On the fifth day, we visited Rug Chapel in Corwen. It is a small private chapel built for Colonel William Salusbury in 1637. Afterwards we visited the Rhug Organic Farm shop. Bought some chutneys and Welsh Mint sauce! On the way back we visited Pale Hall in Llandderfel. Had a lovely lunch and afterwards a walk over the estate. Check out the website! It would be very grand to sleep here.

On our last day in Bala, we went to Chester. Yes, another trip to England Winking.

Naturally I want to show you some of the other pictures I took.  Here is a slideshow of our vacation.

After 7 nights in Bala our vacation was slowly coming to an end. We drove from Bala all the way down to Ashford, taking a break for lunch at an old pub in a town, who’s name I forgot. From there we drove to Bishop’s Stortford to visit Sainsbury. After a very long drive (approximately 500 kilometres) we made it to our hotel, for our last night in the UK.

The next morning we drove down to Dover Castle. We visited the Underground Hospital, the Operation Dynamo exhibit and the wartime tunnels. Hearing about the drama of the Dunkirk evacuation was a gripping experience. The tour guides are amazing storytellers, chapeau! 

An so came our vacation to an end. We drove to Dover ferry docks in the afternoon and caught the boat to Dunkirk. We had no delays on the way back home. It was an easy 3 1/2 hour drive.

Looking forward to our next visit to the UK. Lucky for me, that is real soon. We have been invited to a wedding!

3 comments:

Berna said...

Leuke quilt-ontmoeting Helen en prachtige foto's! Dank voor het delen.

suz said...

what a lovely trip. I'm from Chester, New Hampshire and it was fun to see the photos of Chester England - not a bit alike! :0)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Sounds like a brilliant trip...and looking at your map you must have driven practically passed my door :o)