Sunday, 22 July 2012

Chocolat

Loved watching this movie again. Do you remember watching it the first time? I do. There are only a few movies that I really like watching every so often. This is one of them. When watching a film multiple times I seem to notice and connect things I have overlooked before. What I like about this movie is that the story helps us to see the difference between being good and being pious.

Chocolat is a movie that questions traditions and dogmatic beliefs. We all hope that things stay as they were. Some of us thrive on traditions and are unable to see that you can look at something from many perspectives. But there are times we need to break out from the tranquillity of tradition and chose to change. Chocolat also lets us explore our believes about intolerance and personal autonomy. Loved the closing sermon of the very young priest on Pentecost. "...Do I want to speak of the miracle of our Lord's divine transformation. Not really, No. I don't want to talk about His divinity; I'd rather talk about his humanity. I mean, you know, how he lived his life on earth. His kindness, his tolerance. Listen, here is what I think. I think we can't go around measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude. I think we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create and who we include."

Hopefully I have tempted you to watch this movie again. Do let me know if you did.

By the way, you won’t believe it but I also did some quilting while watching this movie. I know you didn’t expect to read that Wink 

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. ~ Buddha 

3 comments:

Berna said...

Prachtige film die ik regelmatig opnieuw bekijk.
Fijne zondag.

suz said...

I only saw this movie once and loved it...you're right, I need to see it again - it had so much to say - and Johnny Depp to look at - can't go wrong with that.

Linda C said...

Its been so long since l watched this film. Thank you for inspiring me to want to watch it again. l just happen to have a quilting retreat next weekend, and l think this will be compulsory viewing for us!!!