Sunday, 27 May 2012

An opinion is (your) reality!

It is hard to change an opinion once the ‘other’ has formed it. I encounter it nearly every day. It is only frustrating if other people’s preconceptions place false limitations on you.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein

Opinion is a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. We all know the old saying about opinions and everybody having one. Opinion can become reality with additional information that produces certainty but until then it is only opinion. An opinion can be perceived as reality because all known information leads one to that conclusion. Again, there is nothing wrong with having an opinion but it is important to remember that it is an opinion and not reality.

People seek out and remember information that provides cognitive support for their pre-existing attitudes and beliefs. People do not like to be wrong and often feel uncomfortable when their beliefs are challenged.

Other people's perceptions of you may be wrong, but rather than wasting time complaining, getting even or defending yourself, take action to change their opinion.

Their are many ways to achieve this. You can change your experience with others simply by changing the way you perceive them, even when they haven’t really changed. When you change your perception of others, you change the consciousness you attract from them and you also literally change the way they are. You create and attract everything into your experience including your interactions with people. Your perception of others create what they are towards you, therefore changing your perception of them changes them.

No matter how honourable the intentions of my communication (verbal or non-verbal), the message the listener hears (interprets) is not what I intended. This happens to me a lot and I sometimes wonder if this is due my cultural background. My upbringing is so different to my friends and colleagues living here in the Netherlands. Another reason could be my IQ or EQ ConfusedSo if the response is not what I expected, than I use all my senses (seeing, hearing, and feeling) to read all 3 perceptual positions to build rapport. However, I too respond to the map of the world I hold in my head. The map is based on what I believe about my identity an on my values and beliefs, as well as my attitudes, memories and cultural background.

One of the first things we learn, is that not everyone shares our point of view. To understand a situation fully, we need to look at it from different perspectives. You build understanding by looking at it from first, second and third position.

How do people perceive me? Sometimes they see me as a competitor which is threatening. Other times they know I’m right but as they are unable to change the situation they lashout and belittle me.

Are you seeing (observing) or are you ‘seeing as’. Sensory input is always ambiguous, the interpretation selected is the one most likely to be true given what’s been perceived in the past. Perception is an active process.

I’m debating why some perceive their reality to be the truth as I believe that the real world itself is an internal perceptual copy of that world generated by neural processes in our brain. And so, "when different perceptions battle against one another, the truth has a way of getting lost." For "in reality our perception is often clouded, by expectations, by experiences." "Truth is a battle of perceptions. People only see what they're prepared to confront." Emily Thorne (born as Amanda Clarke) in TV-series Revenge.

The double infinity symbol is for acknowledging the balance of Ego and Soul, Matter and Spirit, as they are expressed within the physical form. Maybe this symbol can be my anchor too!

How do I try to influence the situation? By trying to build rapport. In terms of building rapport, I am the message. If I don’t believe in my message, how can I ask people to listen to me. I’m really trying hard to master all 3 perceptual positions to build rapport in challenging relationships. It is useful to assess an event or outcome from several different perspectives: from our own perspective, from the perspective of another person and from the perspective of an independent observer. In situations where there is little or no understanding or progress, they can provide a way of developing new understandings and creating new choices.

I’m trying really hard to understand so that I can be understood. 

Then again, sometimes I think I will chose the easier path, change my reality!

If we are to go forward, we must go back and rediscover those precious values - that all reality hinges on moral foundations and that all reality has spiritual control.~ Martin Luther King. Jr.

No comments: