Thursday, 22 March 2012

Springing up

This celestial event marks the start of the season of growth; "the emerging buds were a sure sign of spring"

IMG_8498

"Springtime" to me means birth, renewal, growth, youth, and starting fresh.

I love spring! Especially the light.

The spring equinox is the time in the earth’s annual cycle around the sun in which day and night are equal in length, before the days finally start to get longer after the dominance of darkness during winter. The sun’s visual journey throughout the course of the year signifies a universal journey, which has been understood and undertaken by people throughout the world, and throughout time—the journey to enlightenment. The spring equinox stands upon the point of balance, upon which everything pivots in its motion, in the universe, in the cycles of the seasons, and within ourselves.

Spring gives us the chance to begin again, or at least renew ourselves. We look at the world around us, seeing life bursting forth in flora and fauna, and use this as a sign to reawaken ourselves spiritually. I’m happy to greet this time of year.

Nearly finished my thread catcher! Love the civil war reproduction fabric.

IMG_8496

IMG_8493

IMG_8497

I visited a quilting friend last night. While working on my thread catcher we did some catching-up. Really looking forward to our next meeting. ‘She’ is working on one of Leanne’s House patterns.

IMG_8494

And look what she brought recently.

IMG_8495

A fabulous box of delicious blue & brown fabrics for another quilt.

Lucky for me, her daughter was visiting her too and so I came to learn that she is reading up on American History (period 1800 till 1960 – I think). I couldn’t contain myself, had to ask her about the content of the minor she is doing. I got all excited Big Hug. Sometimes when you least expect it, you get a little gift. She is sending me the mandatory booklist for the minor she is doing. Can’t wait to read more about the American Civil War and on Judaism in America.

4 comments:

Rennie said...

Prachtige stoffen Helen

Judith said...

Mooie stoffen, leuke avond, en inderdaad dat licht in de lente. Geniet van de zon helen!

Fotis said...

Hi

I just want to say about the part you refer to the autumn equinox
Could you please add the right attribution? This is part of Belsebuub's and Angela's Pritchard work from the book "The Path of Spiritual Sun" and the original article can be found here
http://belsebuub.com/articles/the-spiritual-meaning-of-the-autumn-equinox

Thank you for re-posting it and help to spread its message across.

Michael said...

You must have very patient hands to make all those lovely quilts Helen!:) It must be rewarding to see the finished results though - you've chosen some nice examples.

I love the light of springtime too! I found the original article for the nice quote you shared on the meaning of the spring equinox, so would like to post it here: https://belsebuub.com/articles/the-spiritual-meaning-of-the-spring-equinox

I hope you enjoy the rest of the spring and summer weather. Happy quilt making!:)