Saturday, 3 March 2012

Attitude for Gratitude post – week 9

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend" by Melody Beattie. It is good to focus on gratitude. I think it makes me cool Cool

I love this scene (Private Practice – You Break my Heart / Season 5, episode 15) where Addison says to her shrink: I was thinking I would keep waiting for life to get easier. You know, lower stakes, less risk, easier. And I was thinking, maybe it doesn't. Maybe the struggle, the climb, one obstacle after another... maybe that's just life. At the end of her soul searching Addison comes to the following conclusion: I can just stop waiting... and just live.

image

Addison shows that when we surrender, we get the grace and strength to carry any burdens we have. Carrying them is important for us. Often we don’t see the benefits until later, after we’ve done climbing. No matter what burden we’re carrying, making it to the top of the mountain is what life is all about. Like Addison, I realize I can endure almost any pain, or problem, or carry any burden, so long it’s for a good reason. Purpose transforms ordinary tasks into sacred missions.

“Even if you stumble, you’re still moving forward.”

I’ve had my share of stumbles Winking  The obstacles and challenges are becoming my destiny, instead of random fate. My ‘second’ life's mission, is becoming clearer every day. I realize the peace I’ve been searching for the past 2 years has been back there for some time, but I’m only just starting to see it. I was too focussed on the challenges and less on the climb. My destiny is clear. The pieces are falling into place.

I can’t help it, I love writing down how I work through certain issues. I love researching, and then combine personal experience with what the experts say. It makes me happy that my writing / insights serves you too. Although I do want to be clear, the main purpose of writing it down is that it helps me. Researching helps me to broaden my view and allows me to look at issues from different perspectives. That it ultimately helps you and the ‘others’ too, is something that amazes me but also very gratifying. I enjoy blogging, it’s a way of getting out information without compromising to reviewer wishes, there are no publisher guidelines to follow, no editor to account to, it’s free (and we love that in the Netherlands), and I can choose my own layout and theme.  

Concepts that I’m trying to understand are loss & change. This most probably doesn’t surprise you. I want to understand, how we overcome them. How do we find our way to move forward? I’m fascinated by the adaptive traits and behaviour of ‘others’ during the roller coaster of change, and the discoveries helps me understand me a little more too. At the moment I’m working through these issues and who knows it might lead to an article or a book.  

image

I’m grateful that I’m in a place that is giving me the time to pause and reflect on these issues.

“Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.” – Life’s Little Instruction Book

For my regular readers, you know I’ve been struggling with my health for a while now and I mean my physical health. I think I might be finally over the worst bit and this makes me happy. But I so wish my stamina would return more quickly? Although I realize it will be a slow process. My fall last week hasn’t resulted in more bodily harm. A good nights sleep relieved me from the pain I was feeling on Wednesday. Sadly I’m still wheezing and feeling pretty tired. The blood results showed that my potassium levels are too low. Hopefully this will explain some of the problems I’m feeling. GP has referred me to a endocrinologist for a complete check-up and has changed my medication.

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power. ~ Alan Cohen

No comments: