Sunday, 15 January 2012

Attitude for Gratitude post – week 2

This last week nothing much has been happening. I was ill and so I had a lot of time to think. This middle ear infection I picked-up was virulent. It was good to realize I’m not a good patient, especially when I don’t feel up too much. My time was spend primarily sleeping. In between sleeps I read some magazines (I just wasn’t able to concentrate on any heavy literature) and did some piecing. As mentioned I also spend a lot of time thinking. Tried to channel my thoughts purposively. To think long-term. I also revisited my GP and the antibiotic treatment has been extended. This bacterial infection is a tough one!

I’m thankful we live in a time that communication through social-media is so assessable. Glad we have internet, especially this week. I was able to catch-up on some reading of some great blogs. Did some research on northern Wales. Check-out which places we can visit during our vacation. One thing led to another and I thought why not contact a quilter, who’s blog I’ve been reading for some time and lives in Wales. She answered my e-mail promptly. Isn’t it great that this is all possible? Well, we have set a date!  We are meeting each other at the Jen Jones Welsh Quilt Centre in Lampeter. Can you guess who I’m meeting?

Living an life of gratitude has lead to an bounteous life. I’m pleased to say I have the power in me to regulate myself.  It took me sometime to finally understand that there are many things to be grateful for everyday! It is a mindset! If you live by this ABC I’m sure you can grasp this mindset too. 

A refers to attitude. William James, a pioneering American psychologist and philosopher, wrote, “The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.” So much in life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference. To do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they may be, can bring peace and contentment. I’m truly grateful that I grasp this.

“We can’t direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.” Life itself isn’t always smooth sailing. Setbacks can actually help move us toward our goals. I learned that the hard way Surprise.

image sailing yachts Whitsundays, Australia

My mind is wondering! Getting a little side-tracked, so you can skip the next part and just go to B is for believe. Or you can read my ramblings about the picture above.  I can look at that picture above for hours. Many moons ago, I did sail along the Whitsunday Islands. An amazing experience, an amazing time. Would love to go back and live the experience again, maybe another time. But I do want to go back just to make my own digital photo (with my new camera). Sadly, my photos of the Whitsundays trip are pre-digital, so got this of the web, from the Australian Tourist Board Blushing.

But back to the subject of this post. B is for believe—in yourself, in those around you, and in eternal principles. Don’t limit yourself and don’t let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in yourself and then live so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith.

C is for courage. Courage becomes a worthwhile and meaningful virtue when you live decently. Love this quote by the American essayist and poet Ralph Waldo Emerson. “Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide on, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.” 

Courage is required to make an initial thrust toward one’s desired goal, but even greater courage is called for when one stumbles and must make a second effort to achieve. For me courage means to persevere. Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance. Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint. Perseverance is trying again and again. Have the determination to make the effort, the single-mindedness to work toward a worthy goal, and the courage not only to face the challenges that inevitably come but also to make a second effort, should such be required.

Attitude, believe, and courage are ways to live yourself happy.  By focussing on gratitude I come in a positive flow and come a little closer to grace. Expressing my gratitude is medicine to my heart.

Gratitude changes the pangs of memory into a tranquil joy. ~
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

C also stands for creativity. Exploring ways to express myself. Creativity is defined as the tendency to generate or recognize ideas, alternatives, or possibilities that may be useful in solving problems, communicating with others, and entertaining ourselves and others. I have to be more courageous in my creativity. 

“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.” ~ George Bernard Shaw

To come to an close; I appreciate this time out. I’ve been able to reassess and affirm my goals. I’m going to be creative in realizing them.

“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.” ~ Tina Turner

I did say I appreciated my time out. As you can see I’ve been thinking a lot Day dreaming 

 

1 comment:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Hope you are feeling better soon...ear infections can be nasty and certainly can leave you tired..

North Wales is a beautiful place to visit...we have spent two of our last few holidays there and had a wonderful time. Conwy Castle is well worth a visit as is Snowdon. Just make sure you bring wet gear because when it decides to rain it RAINS :o)