Sunday, 13 November 2011

My first Bargello

I’m doing a 3 day workshop to learn and make my own Bargello quilt. It is going to be a 150x150 lap quilt for the lounge chair in my study. I went to Houston and hoped to find some lovely Jelly Rolls. Sadly, even after walking over the market 3 times I was unable to find any Jelly Rolls. I really expected to find them. I was also hoping to find some 30’s repro fat-quarters. I came home empty handed! To be truthful, there were not many booths that sold fabric. Lucky for me, I found these fabrics at my local quiltshop! The colours match my lounge chair.

IMG_7261Love the Bargello pattern in this book. But I won’t be making this one. I’ve decided to keep it nice and simple. IMG_7264

Here is me cutting lots of strips. As you can see the other ladies are doing the same. 2011_11_10_Bargello workshop

According to our teacher, you create colour runs by sewing strips of the different colours together horizontally. Once we have pieced the strips together, we cut vertical strips from them in different widths to create the curve. If all goes well we will end up with blocks of each fabric that are all the same height across the entire quilt, but in varying widths. I have a fortnight to sew 8 panels, which contain 9 strips of fabric. The funny thing is,

2011_11_10_Bargello workshop1

as mentioned previously, we will be cutting up those panels to make strips again, in the next class. Only the strips we end up with varying in width. We are supposed to end up with something looking like this once we join all the strips. 

IMG_7268

The name originates from a series of chairs found in the Bargello Palace in Florence, Italy, which have a "flame stitch" pattern.  Bargello Palace chairOriginally, bargello was a type of needlepoint embroidery consisting of upright flat stitches laid in a mathematical pattern to create motifs. In addition to bargello embroidery, there are now Bargello quilts in which the patterns used in Bargello embroidery are constructed with strips of fabric of the same height but different widths. The style is classified by its gradated curves and points flowing through the design. The simplest bargello designs, are simple curves or waves that repeat in different colours and patterns.Bargello quilting is strip-piecing, plain and simple. I think I like the sound of that.

Will keep you updated.

3 comments:

Caron Mosey said...

Helen, you and I have the same tastes in fabric! The fabrics you chose from your local quilt shop are GORGEOUS together! I love the muted tones... and the grayed colors grab my heart! Love, love love them!

Rennie said...

Iksluit me aan bij het commentaar van Caron. Het zijn gedistingeerde combinaties.

Ann said...

Hello Helen, I am a new 'follower' to your blog. What a wonderful blog you have. I really like the fabrics you have chosen for your Bargello. Hope you have recovered from your trip to Houston, you took some great pictures. Kind regards, Ann ~ Australia.