Sunday, 27 November 2011

Movies!

Another flashback to my Houston adventure. Funny as time passes – the adventures & new memories – become grander. I feel a joy when I look back upon my trip. Although it seems so quintessentially a phenomenon of presentness, joy can just as immediately seem retrospective, like something from childhood you'd thought was irretrievably lost. This is why joy so often feels like a return, like a reclaiming or redemption. Lifeclasses – Oprah.

The flight back home went a lot quicker and that was partly due to the fact that I watched three movies!!!

The first film – Midnight in Paris

A strange film, but I loved the little snippets into the past. Meeting Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, T.S. Eliot, Cole Porter, F.Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Paul Gauguin even Salvador Dali. Kathy Bates, actress, was great as usual.

I choose - Bridemaids - next.

 

This was a little disappointing, but I managed to watch it to the end. Kristen Wiig, actress, reminds me of Meg Ryan. Do you too?

And after this film I choose - the Help. This simply blew my mind. I even cried, with all those people sitting around me.

I'm a proper brought up lady, I don't cry or show much emotion in public! But this film touched my heart. Do you know how hard it is not to look like you are crying, when you can hardly control the tears running down your face and your throat is all dry, that you can hardly swallow? I had to put the film on pause to walk to the back galley kitchen for some water.  

The film is about an aspiring author during the civil rights movement of the 1960's who decides to write a book detailing the African-American maid's point of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily basis. Love the quote - change begins with a whisper. I think this is so true.

I don’t think you have to book a flight to watch these movies. A nice wintery afternoon with winds blowing around the house and temperatures at a nice low – would be a great moment too.

After watch The Help, I thought I would do a little reading. Sadly, at that time we hit some turbulence. Those that were sleeping were awake very quickly. The pilot announced that this might take a while. Boy, I was happy to hear that. I think we had a bumpy ride for nearly 3/4 of an hour. I would have loved to have had the ‘flight buddy’ app, that forecasts turbulence. My motto: Better prepared than sorry. It is really amazing what kind of apps you can get these days. But back to the subject. I think I handled myself pretty well. But would have loved to have given this a miss.

Hope I’ve convinced you to watch these movies. 

2 comments:

Elisa Black said...

I was disappointed with the movie Bridesmaids, too-- it had a dark side to it, and was not nearly as funny as everyone said it was. I haven't yet seen The Help, but have heard only positive things about it. That whisper quote is awesome-- it's going in my Inspirations journal. Lately, I've been watching Jane Eyre, The King's Speech and Julie & Julia (b/c we own them, and I love watching a good movie several times). Usually when I've hit turbulence on a plane, the pilots are able to change altitude to avoid it. But its not fun when you have to go through it! Glad you have fond memories of your trip to Houston-- it sounds just wonderful! Thanks for the movie recommendations-- I'll definitely check out those other two.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I'm awful at crying at movies and commercials...my family is so used to it and my youngest is just the same. I can't count the number of time she comes to us on a Saturday morning with tears down her face because she's watched some movie that has made her cry!

Glad you survived the turbulence...sounds bumpy!