Sunday, 28 August 2011

Start day – quilt classes, workshops are kicking off again

Saturday, 27th of August was the kick-off of the autumn quilt season at the Quilt Cellar in Putten. It is becoming a tradition that I’m asked to help. Like last year, I assist people in helping choose their fabrics. I like this job because Riek (shop owner) & Aagje (quilt teacher) have a lot of faith in my ability to select the right fabric and complementary colours for the quilt, the (novice) quilter wants to make. I seem to have the knack to help people in making a choice they are happy with. We all know that the choice of quilting fabric is important, but the right colour scheme is even more important. Colour and fabric choice goes together hand in hand. A wrong colour scheme or even one odd colour can make the quilt look shabby and unappealing, and we don’t want that! Lot of quilters are a little unsure about choosing the right colour scheme, and really rely on the advise of the assistants.

Here is an impression of the day.

Henk van Kooten was there too, to give a lecture on the quilts he has made. Impressive work, especially the quilting. I think he gave about 5 lectures. I was lucky to be present during his 11.30 am lecture. It was great. He and his partner are great storytellers.

If you missed out, next year his quilts will be displayed at the Quilt Festival in the northern of Groningen (one of the provinces in the Netherlands). Click on the flyer for more information (it will be in Dutch however).

image

Some time ago, Henk was also interviewed by the Alliance for American Quilters. Click here to read the interview.

Have to share the picture of ‘Hugo’ and me. Hugo is the golden retriever (the puppy dog) in the photo underneath. He came for a visit to the quilt shop late in the afternoon. Isn’t he cute?

 IMG_6693

If only I could take him home with me. Maybe one day, when I’m retired, I can have a dog like Hugo!! Oops, here is another close-up. I couldn’t keep my eyes off him.

IMG_6689

I also enrolled myself in another workshop. I couldn’t resist the Tilda dolls displayed. I’m going to learn how to make these Tilda’s Christmas man, designed by Tone Finnanger. Visit her website here.

imageAs Christmas is coming soon, these will look lovely with all the other Christmas decorations! I can start unpacking the Christmas decorations in about 3 months time. We usually decorate the house around the 1st of December Smile

2 comments:

Berna said...

Volgens mij heb je weer voldoende inspiratie opgedaan?!

Anja said...

Ik was ook op de Startdag en dacht: ik ken haar ergens van. En nu ik op je blog kijk weet ik het weer! Dom he? Ik heb ook zo genoten van de lezing van Henk van Kooten. Geweldig! Je wordt er echt weer door geïnspireerd.
groeten Anja.
Nieuw blogadres:http://anjaisweerbezig.blogspot.com/