Sunday, 7 August 2011

Gratitude post – week 31

Today like everyday count many blessings on your way.

a little poem

I’m cataloguing my blessings.

The secret of happiness is to count your blessings while others are adding up their troubles.~ William Penn

I am in a phase of transition. I’m healing, I’m changing. The past months has given me a new perspective on my life and the world that surrounds me.

"…let us have the courage...to make our lives a blessing...and let us say Amen." (from a Jewish prayer). The practice of rambling about the little things I’m grateful for is changing me. I’m grateful for having taking up this practice and now I can count my blessings. There is so much to be thankful for. So I’ve decided to continue my weekly gratitude post.

Why you ask? It gives me insight and helps me answer these questions: What gives us the courage to search for a life of meaning? How to find work that is meaningful? How to choose the right livelihood? How to work-balance your needs for security and money without losing your creativity and independence? How to avoid bitterness and cynicism? How to continue to practice generosity toward others when so often people in your environment disappoint you? What to do when you don’t seem to share the same ethics as the ‘others’?

I’m slowing realizing that adapting to change and being flexible is a skill that is best taught by being "forced" to change. I thought I was pretty adaptive but this skill backfires when you don’t find yourself in a adaptive environment. I welcome challenges. I even go looking for them. I never turn my back to a challenge, how difficult it might look. But I also savour control and security. I truly believe that every challenging situation brings the chance to grow wiser and more skilful. Even circumstances that seem most devastating carry within them the seed of a new blessing. However, sometimes it takes a while before the planted seed starts to grow. Transition asks a lot of patience. It is really hard not to become impatient. But those who search for these blessings will eventually find them. I did! Although it was a little hard to remain true to my values.

It's crystal clear to me that there's a new life-stage starting, with a set of new perspectives, better tools and knowledge and, I hope, a lot more fun, growth and learning ahead. I’m looking forward to the sail. Realizing that “I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” ~Jimmy Dean.

Many scholars once said that the Blessings of Life are the ways that lead to progress, happiness, and prosperity.

This week I’m grateful for the happening with my nieces at Drouwenerzand. An experience I don’t encounter everyday. Amazed with my mum, who went in all the rides I was too scared to go into. 2011_08_04_cupcakes&drouwenerzand-1 Chuffed with the farewell dinner I had with my nearly ex-colleagues.

Pleased I could be of some help for a person who is looking to give a new meaning to her work-life. I didn’t know this person but she approached me through LinkedIn. I was dumbfounded by the similarities. Had a great afternoon getting to know her.

Blissful, being able to take pictures like this one. Had a good laugh. I was not the only one looking. They are looking straight back to me.

Tickled, after test-driving this car.

2011_08_05_volvo&alpacas

Thankful for being able to make my own Latte Macchiato.

IMG_6069

Well finally this post has come to an end. Will go and do some hand piecing now and finish another baby Jane. Have yourself a good Sunday.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

You are such a wise woman!! I'm hoping to do some sewing today and tomorrow. We take my oldest daughter back to school tomorrow for her final senior year. It will be a busy weekend.

Blessings to you,
Elaine