Sunday, 10 July 2011

Gratitude post – week 27

Feeling jubilant after having survived a very emotionally strenuous week. On hindsight I shouldn’t have planned so many meetings in the one week. My self-confidence got a kick-in-the-butt at the beginning of the week. It always surprises me how I let certain people have so much influence upon me. Why do I keep seeking their reassurance? Am I that uncertain of myself? It was a little upsetting for me to realize that I’m still letting this person get to me, even though I know I’m not the one in the wrong here. I just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. My perception of reality differs completely from his. I give up on my own needs and sacrifice my values over, and over, and over again, just not to hurt this other persons feelings and trying to understand his reality. It has taken me some time to realize that it is not me who can solve the problem at hand, but it has to be the ‘others’. But this insight has come at an emotional, physical and economic expense.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain

I’m ecstatic about the journey I’m on. I’m regaining my self-confidence and feeling competent. There have been plenty of successes to celebrate this week: I gave a good presentation that got people thinking, I’m creating my future and being creative in the process, I connected on a personal level with a person who might become more important in the future, and 3 other successes I won’t mention in this post. But considering my optimistic nature, I hope to be able post about it soon.

I’m enraptured about my blogging endeavours. I love you people who leave a comment on my blogs. I really couldn’t get a nicer compliment. In everyday life I’m rather bad at accepting compliments. I just shrug them off and in most cases I don’t pay them much attention, I just don’t seem to hear them. I also blush, stammer and dismiss the compliment. Especially a direct compliment is the most challenging kind of praise to handle, if I have to be truthful. I just don’t seem to react well to personal attention or praise. I’m in the self-flagellation camp: I hang on to insults / criticism / offense way more. So my personal coach has instructed me to start a compliments journal. I need to pay more attention. But what is a compliment? Silly me, is finding this rather hard to define. I know I only need to jot down every expression of praise, of commendation, or admiration, but why is it so hard to reproduce them and write them down?

I now have numerous journals to attend to: My Sunday Weekly Gratitude Post, ‘My Wednesday Simple Woman’s Daybook’ and now my compliment list. All these journals help me be …

grateful for the gift of hardships that teach life lessons and reinforce determination.

I’m thankful for friends for suggesting that we watch ‘Inception’.

image

I want a ‘spinning top’ like Dom for my reality check!!! imageI too sometimes ponder whether my life is a dream or reality. This top can be my anchor! Many hours after watching this movie, I’m still pondering on what happened to Dom Cobb? Did he get out of limbo or is he still there? Did we leave him in a dream?

Feeling a little joyous after spending my gift voucher buying 3 country music CD’s. I guess you are wondering what I bought. Well, I got 2 CD’s from Blake Shelton (the best of… and his newest CD ‘Red River Blue’) and the album from Easton Corbin.

Chuffed for being able to sell a book to a friend that I had ordered twice. I bought this book: ‘Influencer, the power to change anything’ by Patterson, Grenny et al. Was so curious after reading the reviews that I had forgotten I already had ordered it after reading an earlier mailing. Was a little surprised when putting this book in the bookcase and discovering I already had a copy.

Elated, after spending a sunny morning in the garden, soaking up the sunrays.

Quote

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not. But remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. ~ Epicurus

1 comment:

Elisa Black said...

I very much enjoyed reading this post. Glad to hear your presentation went well! I'm like you in that I sometimes let others derail me-- but I'm working on it, too. Thanks, yet again, for more inspirational quotes! I think its great that you have your journals- they're all really cool! Have a great week!