Sunday, 17 July 2011

The Alliance for American Quilts

Last week I decided to become a member of this alliance.

The Alliance for American Quilts (AAQ) is a nonprofit organization established in 1993 whose mission is to document, preserve, and share the American quilt heritage by collecting the rich stories that historic and contemporary quilts, and their makers, tell about the nation's diverse peoples and their communities.

AAQlogo_1200res

Becoming a member doesn’t cost a real lot. This way I play a small part in supporting this initiative. One of the projects they realized is the Quilt Index. What a great initiative.

It was great to e-meet with Amy, Executive Director at the AAQ. I would have loved to have met her in Houston coming November.  As a researcher myself I would have loved to help her interview the 80+ Texas quiltmakers for their Quilters’ SOS – Save Our Stories project. Qualitative research is the way to go!

I think it would be great if we set-up a foundation like the AAQ in the Netherlands. So far as I know we don’t have something that can be compared to the AAQ. Still I think An Moonen is doing her best to document the history of Dutch Quilts. I think in the next couple of days I might make some time and look through her  book and admire the quilts of our past.

If you can’t get enough of quilts and want to learn more about their makers, do become a member.

1 comment:

Amy Milne said...

Helen, thanks so much for this lovely post. We are thrilled to have you as a new member and hope you WILL come to Houston this year. And we would love to set up a Netherlands QSOS subproject. See the list of QSOS subprojects here which include the Germany QSOS, Peru QSOS, Russia QSOS...http://www.allianceforamericanquilts.org/qsos/projects.php.

Best,
Amy