Sunday, 10 April 2011

Gratitude post – week 14

This sight makes me happy.IMG_3385 What have I learned from this. I should take a walk more often. Isn’t it a cute sight?

This book makes me blissful. The postman delivered this book Friday morning! A signed copy by Sarah herself! Check-out Sarah’s website here. Hope to meet her next time she is in the Netherlands. image It cheers me up, that I’m not the only one that questions whether they are happy with their lives and wonder what to do next. It  elates me pondering on this question. It also makes me apprehensive, as if I lose all control. The prospect of change overwhelms me. I’m scared to follow my heart and risk everything, my financial security, my future and even my relationships & friendships. I’m most probably focussing too much on the worst-case outcome. To make myself more resilient I should correct my thoughts. When I feel my negative thoughts spiralling out of control, I should try forcing them into the opposite direction by imagining an equally improbable best-case scenario. This is most probably my biggest challenge for the next couple of months, to overcome my fear of losing control. Going with the flow is easier, but not very satisfying. Every change I’ve made in my life so far, I try to control what is happening around me to keep on track. I wonder what will happen when I try to slow down and think quietly and deeply about what to do next? The second part of the question opens up a world of possibilities but also rules out the first part of the question – what if I try to slow down. My rhythm is out of whack. The slow pace is making me restless. Don’t you love the reference to cardiology? My passion and aspiration has gone AWOL. My pursuits & life’s goal conflicts with some people around me. I’m demoralized! Maybe I should take up this advice: "Take a break! Don't worry about following your passion for a while. Just follow your curiosity instead."

So back to the one big question we all ask ourselves at one time or other: "What should I do with my life?" This week I’ve made a decision, it makes me blissful for finally having the insight that I need to change. I’m going to reclaim my dreams!! How am I going to do this you might wonder? Well I realize it will take me some time but by listening to my inner voice, dwelling in the possibilities, trusting myself that I will make the right decisions, deciding on what kind of person I want to be, finding out what my true calling is, where my true passion lies and taking the first step I’m sure I will get back on track. I love this quote:  "If you've grieved your losses, reclaimed your dreams and articulated your anger, regret will have made you the right kind of tough-and-tender: dauntless of spirit, soft of heart, convinced by experience that nothing based on fear—but everything based on love—is worth doing" (Martha Beck). The only thing that is left to learn – exercise patience Smile. Why the smiley, because this is not one of my better traits!

The weather the past couple of days is making me merry. I love the feel of sunrays touching my skin. I love basking in the sun. Being able to enjoy some quiet time in the garden, gives me joy. In an hour or two you can find me there again. Isn’t this great, two days in a row lots of sunshine combined with some nice temperature. You do realize it is only the 10th of April? There are many more sunny days to come. This makes me ecstatic!

Pleased with being able to figure-out with some help from others how to construct this block.

IMG_3454Last but not least – I’m really happy to have seen how my niece can swim. Yesterday, my niece got her youth swim certification (zwemdiploma A).

IMG_3529 IMG_3547

Apathy can be overcome by enthusiasm, and enthusiasm can only be aroused by two things: first, an ideal, which takes the imagination by storm, and second, a definite intelligible plan for carrying that ideal into practice.’ Arnold J. Toynbee

1 comment:

Berna said...

Hoi Helen, Volgens mij ben je goed op weg met dit blok. Nog 4 x zo'n stuk, dan 2 aan 2 aan elkaar zetten en dan de middelste reep ertussen.
Succes and a sunny Sunday!