Sunday, 13 March 2011

On Sunday’s agenda

Next week the Medallion Sampler needs to be finished! Saturday, the 19th of March we have to show the finished result and than we can finally go onto basting. For those who don’t know much about quilting.

A quilt is made up of 3 layers:

  • The top – this is the Medallion Sampler. My tops are always made out of 100% cotton fabric.
  • The back – also made with cotton fabric. Usually you can find special  wide yardage for backings. I prefer king size backing in one panel. Sometimes I’m in luck, sometimes I have to sew some panels together. 
  • The batting – this is the stuff in the middle. I use natural cotton batting as it is thin, dense and flat and I like the way it holds up to hand quilting. I don’t pre-wash the batting as I like the used-look it gets when you wash the whole quilt after it has been quilted.

The 3 layers are held together with quilting stitches. I do my quilting all by hand! It takes for ever but I like the authentic look. Before you can go onto quilting you need to fasten the 3 layers together (temporarily) so they don’t slip and slide around. This is called basting the quilt. Some also call this sandwiching. In fact, when you are done, you have a quilt sandwichHappy.

I’m getting a little ahead of myself as the top needs to be finished first.

2011_03_13_Medallion Sampler   M-T-Z

I will have to find some time this week to put on the outer border.

It looks like one of my nieces might become a future quilter. My sister and her kids popped in for a quick visit. My niece was very interested in the sewing machine on the table and wanted a demonstration. She also wanted to have a go herself, but I think she needs to be a little older before she can sit behind this machine. She is only 6!

IMG_2930But who knows maybe we can try some hand sewing together soonWinking 

IMG_2922Tess, was a little less interested but did want to know when I was going to start on her quilt!! Ohhhh, the pressure! I now not only have to finish Zoë’s quilt but have to start on one for Tess. I already have a name for it: Tess’s quilt. Will have to start thinking what design to use. I already know I will be using Kaffe Fassett’s fabrics again. But first I have to find some time to do some more quilting on Zoë’s quilt in the next couple of weeks. Not far to go and I can say that Zoë’s quilt is finally completed. Only have to add the binding to finish it off completely. 

Will post more of my progress on the Medallion Sampler soon!

By the way, the Pfaff Select 3.0 is a fantastic machine. Still haven’t thought of a name for it yet. Suggestions are welcome. Maybe I’ll call it Pfaffy.

3 comments:

jacq said...

Je bent al heel ver! moet lukken om je top voor een zaterdag af te hebben, ik heb de flying geese border af, en ben begonnen aan het compass al 1/4 af.

julieQ said...

So glad you meet you!!! I love hand quilting too...so much fun!!

Berna said...

Om een of andere reden heb ik deze post gemist. Maar ik heb zojuist je top van de medaillonsampler mogen bewonderen. Hij is prachtig! En met de quilts voor de meiden komt het ook goed. Gelukkig heb je een ruime belofte gedaan aan Tess.
Slaap lekker!