Saturday, 12 March 2011

Gratitude post – week 10

I’m smiling because Saturday I received a package from her with more civil war fabrics. They are absolutely delicious. Can’t wait to use them in my Dear Jane® babies. I am exultant because I started on my first baby DJ block F7 this week.

I’m exhilarated by all the responses on my new Dear Jane® blog.Dear Jane button-size100Designing this new blog and thinking about its content makes me rapturous. I’m thankful to live in these times. 

I’m also thankful for this fantastic week I had. I had a whole week off from work and was able to spend my holiday the way I love. Sunday & Monday were primarily spent working on my blog. Tuesday I went to my mum and did a walkabout in Groningen. Wednesday I worked on my Medallion Sampler with a dear friend. Thursday I bought myself a gift, a new sewing machine. Friday I went to Zutphen and met up with other Janiacs. Nearly forgot to mention the wonderful beauty treatment I had in the morning: a facial & massage ( I won’t mention that I had a leg wax too Wink) Saturday was mainly spent cooking & baking, getting ready for a dinner with a friend.

I’m a little giddy by all the e-mails & comments I received this week. Thank you. You know who you are. I would also like to show my gratitude to Elisa at Postpartum Quilter. I’m glad to read that you have started your own Weekly Gratitude Post. Why should we be grateful? Gratitude is a way of life. Gratitude is quality that we should aspire to as part and parcel of personal growth. According to psychologists and other researchers gratitude is positively related to such critical outcomes as life satisfaction, vitality, happiness, self-esteem, optimism, hope, empathy, and willingness to provide emotional and tangible support for other people. I don’t need research to prove this (although I’m a firm believer in research, mainly because I’m a researcher too) as I’m noticing the effects!! In combination with yoga my appreciation is growing and I’m re-finding my flow.

Translating thoughts into concrete language – words, whether oral or written – has advantages over just thinking the thoughts. It puts things in another perspective. Writing helps to organize these thoughts and facilitates integration, and also helps me accept my experiences and puts them into context.The key is to be mindful of everything that is good in your life – be it big or small – and making a conscious effort to increase your awareness about this gratefulness. I’m wondering whether others will start their own gratitude journal? I’m still thankful for having started with this practice. Hopefully I’m not boring you with these posts.

I’m thankful for the sneak peek of the coming spring. The daylight hours are getting longer. Coming Monday when I go back to work sunrise will be at 6.58 am and sunset at 6.42 pm. Length of daylight 11 hours and 44 minutes. I won’t be driving in the dark to work! Just thinking about it makes me smile.

"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
— Shakespeare. I read Hamlet during High School. One of the compulsory reads. I don’t remember Hamlet saying this to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as they banter back and forth on the state of Denmark. (Act II, sc. 2). I do remember this line - get thee to a nunn'ry, why woulds't thou be a breeder of
sinners? This was the start of my fascination in history & theology.

I’m thankful for the memories I’m creating and sharing them with you.

1 comment:

Elisa Black said...

It sounds like you had a truly wonderful vacation week and your Dear Jane blog and project sound very exciting!! Love the quote from Hamlet-- I'll add it to my quotes journal. Thanks for mentioning and linking to me-- that's very exciting!! I'm glad to have connected with a new blogging friend (halfway across the world, no less). Thanks, Helen! Have a great day!