Sunday, 6 February 2011

Gratitude – week 5

A gratitude journal is a way to consciously call attention to the things for which we are thankful each day. In my case, each week. By focusing on gratitude, we become aware of those things and thus create a shift in our thinking to the positive. Re-framing!!

It seems to be working. I feel a lot happier and content the last couple of weeks. I think others also see I’m more easygoing and able to let go of the disappointment I’ve encountered.

Jacob Riis was a insightful man: “When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.”

I’m learning new traits and putting them to practice.

So I’m going to carry on writing this weekly journal of gratitude as it enables me to view things differently. 

This week I’m thankful for:

  • being able to share my last Tim Tams with friends.

  • having our first BBQ this year. It was a little windy and cold so we ate inside, but the spirit of summer was here.

  • having the most social cat in the world

  • discovering new functionality in Prezi ©

  • finding out that my observations/feedback are appreciated

  • discovering I can let go and being able to except that there is truth in the following:

    • To let go is not to be in the middle of arranging outcomes, but to allow others to effect their own outcomes.
    • To let go is not to cut myself off, it is the realization that I can't control another.
    • To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means this outcome is not in my hands.
    • To let go is not to deny , but to accept.
    • To let go is not to criticize and regulate anyone, but to try to become what I dream I can be.

This quote from Phil McGraw says it all: Stand up and walk out of your history. I’ll be setting new goals and exert serious effort towards achieving these goals.

yes I can_poster I’m going on the road of new discoveries.

No comments: