Monday, 10 January 2011

Free speech & self-expression

Today I got this message from the Universe :

The ability to stop, reflect, and go "wow," Helen, is one of the wisest characteristics an old soul can possess.
I recommend it daily,
    The Universe

I’m an old soul! I love to reflect and express my thoughts and sometimes I express them through my blog. Self-expression: the expression or assertion of one's own personality, in conversation, behaviour, poetry, blogging, quilting, or writing, is an important value for me. It is a  principal value upon which my other values and measures of integrity are based.

Today, a wise man (you know who you are) told me that maybe I should express myself less through my blog. Words matter. Words are malleable and can be used to illuminate or obscure. Words can hurt. Words can be misinterpreted. Readers can give more value to words than the writer intended.

I spend a lot of time contemplating what to write and how to write it. This contemplating encompasses everything from topics, to word choice, to what is appropriate to write on my blog.

This personal blog is an ongoing journal.  I take pride in my blog posts and never expected I would have so many followers and regular visitors. I thought most of my followers were quilters, but slowly I’m realizing that some of my followers are family, friends and colleagues. Readers seem to have gotten the impression that they think they know me. Really know me! My blog enables me to reflect on life and my works of art, quilting.  I however never give my opinion or write about the choices I made on my blog. I’m not that personal. I can tell you, if you think you understand me, the real Helen is a lot more complex.  I’m unique, but than everyone is!

Blogging can however result in unforeseen consequences, especially personally and socially. This means that I won’t write about certain topics any longer. For those topics, that by writing it down my insight on the subject increases, will be written in my personal Moleskine Journal.

1 comment:

Berna said...

Ik denk dat ik je begrijp Helen. Kan me er alles bij voorstellen. Wat je ook doet; als het voor jou goed voelt dan is het goed. Tot gauw!