Thursday, 30 December 2010

New Years resolutions

For me, the "holiday season" begins on the four weeks of Advent, then the 12 days of Christmas, with New Year's Day thrown into the mix. This 34-day period is marked with distinct moods, rituals and spiritualities: the spirituality of gratitude, waiting in anticipation for something new and exciting in my life and giving hope  to resolutions for the new calendar year.

My resolutions for 2011 are:

- DREAM, LAUGH &

CREATE

- continue my fitness routine at home. Use the cross trainer & rowing machine.

- arrange more time for quilting and work away those WIPS. Hopefully finish Zoë’s quilt, the Medallion quilt & log-cabin quilt in 2011. However, I won’t let myself be frustrated by focussing on these goals too much. I want to cherish the process & let the joy of quilting be the real intention for 2011. 

- practice YOGA, and checking-in my sanctuary regularly for those meditative  moments and asking myself this question: WHAT WOULD I REALLY LOVE TO DO?

- not focusing on flaws, but on potential

- making a change, setting things in motion, realizing a new dream, making a mark

- listen to my intuition. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t do it. Say no

- post weekly on what I’m thankful for

- make ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas stitchery quilt & maybe organize a monthly Christmas Bee to achieve it.

- focus on me. Do what I like & be less dependent on the opinions of others for my happiness. This however does mean I need to answer the question ‘what would I really love to do’ and do it, apposed to just going with the flow.

- cut down on my expenditures by asking myself the following questions:

  • do I need it?
  • will I use it?
  • can I afford it?
  • is it worth it?
  • have I checked if it’s cheaper anywhere else?

If my answer is no – I’m not going to buy it!! Yes, I can do this! If I can apply the above for another year, my piggybank image

will grow & grow.

- have Hope, to fill my mind of all the possibilities; and have Faith knowing that everything will turn out perfectly in 2011.

- Live with integrity, respect the rights of other people, and follow my own bliss (= supreme happiness; utter joy or contentment).

~~~

‘Cheers to a new year and

another chance for us to get it right’. 

Oprah Winfrey

 

HAPPY 

NEW YEAR!

May 2011 bring all you wish for.

 

PS, I’ll let you know in 365 days if I achieved this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok. Last try at typing this ( using new iPad and can't quite work out the keyboard!). I think your list is great but so big! Such a lot to remember when day to day is so busy. I have never been one for new years resolutions but if I wer going to do some this year it would be to enjoy more of the day to day in my life and to be more mentally available for my family and friends. There! I managed to get this down without deleting it. Only took 5 goes! Happy new year Helen and I hope you get through all you have planned. Love from Louise.