Saturday, 6 November 2010

Braised pears

The supermarket had Kaiser pears in stock. When you see them you know that winter is coming. I love cooking wintery meals and as I hadn’t made braised pears for a long time, I bought some.  My last attempt, last winter, wasn’t very successful. I let them burn. I forgot they were on the stove simmering and before I knew it the liquid had evaporated.  It was when I started smelling something burning, that I went back to the kitchen to check.  That happens when you try to do too many chores at the same time.

Today I felt like making them again.

IMG_1021

So this afternoon, when I finally made time, I checked if I had everything I needed. Sadly, I  had forgotten some essential ingredients, so had to make a second trip to the supermarket!

This is what you need:

  • 6 large ripe firm Beurré bosc pears (also called Kaiser pears), peeled,
  • 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 large lemon, juice of (about 2 tbsp.)
  • freshly grated lemon zest
  • 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 to 4 inches long

     

    What to do: peel the pears, leave stems intact and put them in a medium stockpot. Combine the wine, water, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over high heat for 3/4 hours. After 3/4 hours reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until pears are very tender but not falling apart, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, basting with liquid occasionally.

    2010_11_06_braised pearsHaving done this, I think I will now go and do some quilting!

  • 1 comment:

    Ruth's Place said...

    Oh, they look delicious.

    I envy you heading off to quilt. I'm about to go to work (bummer of a Saturday night). Hopefully I'll find some quilting time tomorrow...