Friday, 17 September 2010

Body massage therapy

Massage is one of the oldest, simplest forms of therapy and is a system of stroking, pressing and kneading different areas of the body to relieve pain, relax, stimulate, and tone the body. The basic goal of massage therapy is to help the body heal itself and to increase health and well-being.

Massage can stimulate or calm the nervous system and thus help reduce fatigue, leaving the receiver with a feeling of replenished energy.  This is what I need, I though!! Massage has the potential to restore the individual physically, mentally and spiritually.

With fast paced lives and the continuous chase to meet deadlines, the tired mind and body tends to seek out for a stress buster.

image

So yesterday afternoon I phoned the wellness centre, to see if an appointment late in the afternoon was available. Lucky me, she had an available slot. I had an hour of relaxing to look forward to. 

Body massage therapy is a tool that can help eliminate stress and bring about a relaxed me.  I tend to lean to a more holistic and natural healthcare methods for my stress / health problems. Sadly, in the Netherlands body massage hasn’t emerged as a popular  healing method, yet. But slowly we see a change. Today, it isn’t hard to find a well trained masseurs/masseuses in your telephone book or yellowpages. 

imageIt seems the word has derived from many languages. In French  massage defines "friction of kneading", in Arabic massa meaning "to touch, feel or handle", in Latin massa meaning "mass, dough". In distinction the ancient Greek word for massage was anatripsis, and the Latin was frictio. I guess I was speaking a little french when I made my appointment for a massage. image

I had my first body massage therapy when I was in Australia for a visit 10 years ago. An old friend introduced me. Lots of people in Australia go regularly, I belief. So often as once a fortnight.

Yesterday afternoon I think I finally found someone who has fully developed her art. In a professional setting I was treated for a whole full hour.

It was good. When is my next session? Sadly not until the end of October.  I’m definitely going to be doing this more often.

4 comments:

Berna said...

Dat heb je goed gedaan. Heerlijk!
Niet naar les geweest daarna?

jindi said...

nice post thanks for sharing

Toronto Massage Therapy

Bruce Eatchel said...

nice post thanks for the info ur sharing with us

Massage Tables

Quentin Edberg said...

Yes, there are definitely joy and health benefits from massage therapy. I do hope that more clinics in your country advocate massage therapy as a healing technique. Anyway, simply kneading can already treat sore muscles, improve blood circulation and reduce stress.

Regards,
Quentin Edberg