Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Bloglines, is closing down!!

Bloglines posted some days ago that they will officially shut down on October 1, 2010.

image

To say I am annoyed is an understatement. I yelled HELP and luckily hubby responded. I don’t want to figure out how to transport my 256 feeds to another RSS aggregator! They can say it is easy, but from experience it usually isn’t. My first response when hubby entered my study was, what is an RSS aggregator? My second question, can you fix this for me?

Then came the next important question, which RSS aggregator am I now going to use?  I didn’t put much effort in my search. I knew Google Reader provided this service, so after some nagging, hubby exported my current subscriptions from Bloglines to image .

Here is a screenshot of my Google Reader page. Naturally you will have to put some effort in finding out how Google Reader works. There are some nifty features, like ‘Google trends’. I’m sure I haven’t found them all.

image

So let the 1st of October come! I expect I won’t miss Bloglines. If only life’s problems could be fixed so easily.

I now can keep up with all your quilt adventures and not worry about missing out. So keep on posting your creative efforts. I’ll be watching you.

1 comment:

pirate said...

Yep, I was in *exactly* the same boat. I had been using Blogline for years and was perfectly happy with it. The notification that you saw was the first time *I* found out about it also.

Talk about being majorly *annoyed*!

But, like you, I also exported/imported my RSS feeds to Google Reader and now think I'm happy with it. I've still kept my Bloglines list active (for now) simply because there are some entries that I've marked as keepers ... and I either need to print those entries off (oh dear ... talk about killing more trees!) or spend the time to go through those entries in Google and manually mark them. Ugh.

Sometimes change can be a real bugger.

-Shelley