Thursday, 26 August 2010

Quite gracefully

when I came home Thursday night I came across a  post that seemed like it was especially written for me.

"There's a trick to the graceful exit, I suspect.
It begins with the vision to recognize when a job, a life stage, a relationship is over & to let it go.
It means leaving what's over without denying its validity or its past importance in our lives.
It involves a sense of the future, a belief that every exit line is an entry, we are moving on rather than out.
It's hard to learn that we don't leave the best parts of ourselves behind, back in the job, the relationship, etc.
We own what we learned back there, the experience & the growth are grafted onto our lives.
And when we exit, we can take ourselves along."

I came across it while reading Theodora Cleave's blog who quotes Ellen Goodman.

Thursday I had an issue that needed to be challenged. I’m taking a next step. But…. ‘taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most’.  Fyodor Dostoevsky.

I now have an ‘outside agent’ to help me change, so that I can take the my next step and move on. 

No comments: