Saturday, 3 April 2010

Ruth & Amsterdam

Today I met up with Ruth. The Australian quilter living in South Africa. It is really great to meet someone who you know only through reading her blog and seeing her once in a while on Facebook.

An easy place to meet is near Central Station, which in my case is the Bijenkorf. We did a little sightseeing and naturally visited a quilt shop.

I've never been to the Begijnhof. I must say it is worth the visit. And from the Bijenkorf a short walk. You get an whole other perspective on Amsterdam.

IMG_4850 IMG_4851

IMG_4854 IMG_4855

IMG_4858 IMG_4859 IMG_4860

See the wooden house (het houten Huis) in the picture above? It is the oldest surviving wooden house dating from around 1420.

IMG_4862 IMG_4863

IMG_4867 IMG_4868

The Begijnhof is an enclosed courtyard dating from the 14th century. It was originally built as a sanctuary for the begijntjes, a Catholic sisterhood who lived like nuns, although they took no monastic vows. What is surprising that these houses around the courtyard are still occupied by single women.

After a quick lunch we walked to De Haan & Wagenmakers the quilt shop in Amsterdam. Here is Ruth & Araminta looking at the fabrics.

IMG_4875 You know that we were really there when you click on this URL.

IMG_4876 And this is Ruth & me.

IMG_4877 Here is Annelies assisting Ruth. I had just paid for my stuff. Will post about what I bought in my next post.

Sadly, after our coffee break, we had to say good bye. We didn't have the best of weather, but that didn't deter us.

Here is me driving home.

IMG_4878

Driving home on country roads.

IMG_4879

Ruth, thanks for a great day. Hopefully you enjoyed it as much as I did. Have a good flight home.

2 comments:

Annelies vdB said...

Helen it was so nice to meet the three of you !
Happy Easter !

Ruth's Place said...

It was wonderful to meet you in person finally! And thank you so much for taking me to the quilt store, I'd never have found it on my own I don't think.

Will be doing a blog post about our meeting of my own over the next few days :)