Saturday, 20 March 2010

Medallion Sampler - lesson 3

Today it didn't matter that it was raining practically all day. Why? Because today was our third lesson. Hopefully, you remember, but just to bring you back up speed, since January once a month some apprentice quilters come together to learn to make a beautiful Medallion Sampler at Laura's Quilt Atelier.

In the centre you see my Jacob's Ladder block. I'm way behind compared to the other ladies, as you will see in the next couple of photo's.

IMG_4649 This is Mirjam's Medallion Sampler in progress. She is using Dutch antique reproduction quilting fabric from Den Haan & Wagenmakers. Don't you just love the card trick blocks on the outside?

IMG_4650 Here is another example. This quilter is using predominantly African printed fabrics.

IMG_4652Again a whole different looking Medallion Sample just by using different fabrics.

IMG_4654 In the next two quilts in progress you see that these ladies are using similar fabrics, but look how different these quilts are turning out. Here is the first quilt. 

IMG_4656 Here is the second quilt.

IMG_4660 Both ladies are smiling on request. Everyone always looks so serious in previous photos. It is nice to get one where everyone is smiling.

IMG_4665 We learned how to stretch a block if you come a couple of millimeters short. An easy trick once you know how. I might need to save up for another new quilt gadget.

IMG_4667 I also learned how to draw lines to make flying geese quick and easy. The photo above and below are 'reminders' so when I finally catch up I will remember how to do it. 

IMG_4671 Was having some problems during sewing. The rectangles & squares were a couple of millimeters too small. First I thought it might be the sewing machine, but it seems that I cut the fabric too tight. I will have to lay my ruler a little different, than I thought. If only problems were that easily solved. For a moment I thought I might have to ask Hubby for a new and better sewing machine smiley_3

IMG_4673

Slowly getting the hang of it.

In the afternoon we focused on making a Mariner's Compass. A big one: 42,5 x 42,5 centimeters. 

IMG_4684 I think I will use these fabrics. Are you getting an impression of how it will turn out. To get an idea, we laid out a quarter and put a mirror against it. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll post a picture of the whole thing.

In the pictures below, you see how it is put together.

IMG_4695

 

 

 

 

 

  IMG_4697

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_4701

IMG_4699 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_4703

Once you have done the check, you have to fit the border on. It is wise to put some markers on the border fabric and pin the point of the stars on the markers.

IMG_4704

Well I better start planning some time for all the homework we have gotten. Before I know it, it will be the  17th of April.

3 comments:

Valentina said...

How Lovely Helen, and so very very interesting!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful class.
I can't wait to see your quilt!
Valentina

Berna said...

Dat ziet er allemaal goed uit Helen. Je houdt toch wel een show and tell volgende week?

Ruth's Place said...

Everything looks wonderful. I love the fabrics you are using.