Saturday, 11 April 2009

Cochem

My PIL celebrated their 4oth wedding anniversary Wednesday the 8th of April. To celebrate we stayed in Cochem, Germany, for a mini-holiday.

Cochem is situated in the valley of the Mosel, at the foot of a hill surrounded by a feudal castle, the Reichsburg, dating from 1051. The town is surrounded by vineyards. So if you like your white wines, you should go and visit the valley of the Mosel.

As we had seen the Reichsburg in January, we sent PIL up the hill to see the castle. Hubby and I decided to explore Cochem and find the mustard mill. Once we found it, we walked back to the town centre and waited till PIL got back.

IMG_2440 IMG_2441

IMG_2445 IMG_2450

After having a lovely lunch and cake we walked to the mustard mill (although I have my walking shoes on, it wasn't a long walk). The Senfmühle is a short walk from the town centre, you only have to cross the Mosel! The mill produces various types of  mustard which is produced at one of the oldest mustard mills in Europe. This mill was established in 1810. After tasting all the different types, I bought Senfmüller's speciality: Honey mustard.

After our visit to the mustard mill, Hubby and I walked back to the hotel. Now I was happy I had my walking shoes on.

On our third day we showed the PIL the Nürburgring. They had never been there! FIL and Hubby were thinking of going for a drive on the ring that morning, but decided against it, after they saw how busy it was. I've never seen so many people and cars there. I think commercially the ring did good business that day.

We parted our ways after watching others drive for a while. We stayed for another day so that we could meet up with some of Hubby's friends for dinner.

IMG_2467

We had a lovely time. 

After reading this, you might decide to visit Cochem, please do, it is a lovely village. But don't get discouraged by the German hospitality, politeness isn't one of their better virtues (even when you pay a lot of money for their service).

No comments: