Monday, 15 December 2008

Latte macchiato or caffè latte??

I have a Fully Automatic Bean to Cup Coffee Machine. I love my Gaggia Titanium. Once in a while I experiment and try to make something different. This time I tried to make myself a latte macchiato.

 IMG_1676

Haven’t quite perfected my technique, but it looks great and it tasted divine.

What makes the latte macchiato different to a caffè latte? In a latte macchiato the steamed "pure" white milk gets "stained" by the addition of espresso. It differs significantly from caffè latte in that only ½ (or less) of an espresso shot is being used.

The macchia is the little 'spot' of crèma being left on top of the milk to clearly distinguish that it is a latte macchiato and not a caffè latte, where the espresso traditionally has been added before the milk, hence having no "mark."

I guess I made a caffè latte! Will have to try again.

1 comment:

StockdaleJo said...

Woohoo, dont you just love good coffee.

A coffee machine is high on my wishlist - right after the new kitchen. lol.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and an exciting New Year