Wednesday, 24 December 2008

Christmas meme

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate. I have never had egg nog. I would love to get a recipe. I don’t think we can get it here Holland.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? The pressies are set out under the tree until Christmas day and then they somehow get to my mums place. Santa drops by and delivers them to the right address.

Colored lights on tree or white? We have white lights

When do you put your decorations up? Usually after 5th of December, after the Dutch ‘Sinterklaas’ has left for Spain. This year we couldn’t contain ourselves and put up the decorations on the 30th of November. They come down on January the 1st (always).

What is your favourite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I love stuffed turkey, baked potatoes, pumpkin and cranberries. I can’t choose.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? In first grade, when I was 4. I was really scared of ‘Sinterklaas & zwarte piet’, especially of ‘zwarte piet’. My mum decided to tell me the truth. Life was a lot easier after that. I had to promise not to tell the other children. I kept my promise for a long time!!  Why I was so scared, I don’t remember. I do however remember the feeling of anxiety. Sometimes when I’m alone driving on a secluded road, I get that feeling again, as if someone is watching me, brrrr.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We unpack our pressies usually late in the afternoon, between Christmas diner breaks.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Lots of red and silver Christmas balls, some silver icicles, some candy canes, lots of wooden and woollen Santa, Rudolf and heart ornaments.

Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love snow but we don’t get any in Holland, or at least not during Christmas.

Can you ice skate? Yes, of course. I think you will never guess where I learned. I learned to figure skate in Sydney (Australia) when I was about 16. Loved it! I loved travelling into town on the train to the ice skating rink. Once we moved back to Holland I tried the real stuff, skating on natural ice and I must say all those cracking noises underneath you scares the … out of me. Haven’t skated since I was 20!! By the way skating Dutch style is completely different to figure skating.

Do you remember your favourite gift? Sorry, can’t remember.

What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Going home to mum’s place. Mum would love to go to a place (hotel) where there is plenty of snow, but my sister and I convince her every year to celebrate Christmas at her place.

What is your favourite Holiday Dessert? Pavlova!

What is your favourite tradition? Preparing traditional Christmas dinner on Boxing Day. Being in my own kitchen doing my thing is my little tradition. Hubby loves the dessert, the Pavlova.

Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving? Giving of course! Searching for the right presents is so much fun.

What is your favourite Christmas Song? - Last Christmas;   Please come home for Christmas; - Christmas Just Ain’t Christmas, without the one I love; - Driving home for Christmas; - We Wish You a Merry Christmas; - Santa Claus is Coming to Town; - Jingle bells; shall I go on?

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I love candy canes for in the Christmas tree. But I don’t eat them. Too sweet.

Ever recycled a Christmas present? No, not really. Some however disappear to the attic or closet never to be seen again.

I would like to thank Anne Marie and Jan for posting this meme. Please join in if you would like to. I would love to read your answers. Let me know if you post your Christmas meme.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We verheugen ons al op tweede kerstdag, want dan worden we weer getracteerd op de heerlijke Pavlova. Helen's specialiteit!!!

Christine said...

Hello Helen. I am catching up on some blogs today. Hope you had a very happy Christmas.
Christine