Sunday, 3 August 2008

Spakenburg - quilt exhibition using traditional costume fabrics

Behind the Noorderkerk in the heart of Spakenburg you find the museum that has all sorts of things concerning the traditional costume and the culture of Spakenburg. Besides this it also houses a magnificent small quilt exhibition mostly made of authentic Spakenburg traditional costume fabrics. The museum is run by volunteers and one of the ladies was glad to give us a tour through the museum. When having a guide you pick up unusual pieces of knowledge and Spakenburg definitely has an interesting history. The guide was also a very persuasive lady she got us to pose for a photo.

But our aim was to see the quilts. I loved the fabrics they used in the quilts, some small and some large. One of the quilts caught my eye. The one that is hanging behind Tonny and me contains some compass blocks. I like how they also included other block patterns; I might just copy the idea for my compass quilt. However, I most worn you, the compass quilt is becoming a UFO!! I have so many other quilt projects that need to be finished. I don’t know when I will finish this one?

See the slideshow of our visit.


Happy Quilting, Helen

No comments: