Friday, 18 July 2008

Amish quilts

An inspirational site is Womenfolk.com. When a little curious about the history behind certain patterns, I usually nose (surf) around this site. I love the history behind the Amish quilts. The Amish quilts from Lancaster County are another great inspiration. It was the Amish designs that got me interested in quilting some 14 years ago. At that time I did a beginners course and followed some workshops. I’ve kept some items from that period in my history box.
Here you see a sampler with plain quilting
and some star blocks.
The blocks are meant for a 2 x 2m quilt. As you can see I didn’t get very far.

There are two reasons why I didn’t continue quilting:
1 – I started with my PhD project. No, I do not mean Projects half Done! Actually this abbreviation is kind of funny as I did not get very far with the quilt, but I did get a doctorate in health science.
2 – I didn’t have any quilt friends. To enjoy quilting you have to have some people around you, who have similar interests and are just as crazy about quilting as yourself. Since about 4 years I have gathered these crazy quilters around me, and on a regular basis we meet-up and enjoy our crafting together.
But back to the subject, whenever I come across books on Amish quilts I can’t resist buying them. Some weeks ago I bought this book.

And this week the postman brought me this.

Another great inspiration is Quilt Mania. I'm going downstairs now to read this magazine.

Happy quilting, Helen

1 comment:

Karol-Ann said...

I love your qulting sampler!