Sunday, 11 November 2007

Craft meme

As promised….

''Why you craft meme''

The rules are: Answer the following on your blog and then let five other bloggers know that you have tagged them to complete the meme.

1. When did you start to create and make craft?
At the age of 4 I won my first prize with being creative. I entered a picture that I creatively pasted with all kinds of different colours of crepe paper. The jury seemed to be impressed. I started building at an early age using the old small Lego blocks. I loved playing with Lego. The Lego travelled all over the world with us.
In my teens I started sewing and I continued doing this for a long time. I sewed a lot of my own clothes.
In third form I switched to technical drawing, I really enjoyed these classes. For a long time I wanted to follow in my fathers footsteps and become an engineer. Around my 16th I chose art and art history as one of my subjects for my HSC (Higher School Certificate), I planned to go and do interior design. I was always designing and drawing. Then my father died, and this changed my perspective on life and career.
Art class was great, I learned to paint, printmaking, photography, darkroom photo development, and pottery. You name it and I learned the basics. My art teacher was fantastic. When she talked about architecture, I was all ears. The way she talked about her European trips, wow. Her photography was great. She introduced me to Le Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright, etc. I think I idolised her.
After my HSC, we moved back to the Netherlands and I went to Nursing School. This is when I started knitting. Knitting was a nice creative let-out and it was also very practical. I knitted a lot of lovely jumpers. I even made my own Irish Jumper; this was a pretty tricky pattern.
Around my 30th birthday I got introduced to quilting by a friend. We did a course together and after that I did another course. Sadly, once I started with my PhD, I found I had less and less time for my creative outlet. I lost touch with my creative side.
Two years ago I picked up quilting again, and love it. I’m slowly re-finding my creative notch.

2. Why did you start creating?
There was this itch and sometimes you just have to give in to it. Nearly three years ago, after finishing my PhD I had to give in to this itch again. I had been to the local quilt shop numerous times and I finally put my name down to do a course. I wanted to work with my hands so badly. Everyday, since then, I’m glad I picked up quilting again.
Quilting has also brought me new friends. The ladies I met in my first class now have become a tight little group. We see each other often and do many quilt related activities together.
Quilting has also introduced me to blogging. I love the contacts that this has brought.

3. Why do you create?
I need to work with my hands and try-out ideas and new techniques. I try to improve my skills. I have so much to learn. The extra benefits of quilting, it is therapeutic. It enables me to empty my head, it de-stresses.

4. What do you create?
Big king size quilts. The bigger the project, the bigger challenge.

5. Has this changed since you began crafting?
I’m still getting into the zest of things. As I prefer hand piecing, making big quilts is very time consuming. I still need to finish my first big quilt. I love learning new techniques. The compass quilt is turning out pretty nice. I’m looking forward to making my first kaleidoscope quilt, the feathered star quilt and log cabin quilt.

Now I have to tag 5 people. I’ve been looking around and lots of people have already done this meme, but I’ve found six people who might like to reply: Sweet P , Leanne’s House, Chookyblue, Natalie, Caroline, and Annelies . I would love to know why you craft.

2 comments:

Sweet P said...

Great answers to why you craft. When I do the Meme you will see that I use quilting to de-stress as well.

I will let you know when I do the Meme in a day or two.

Karol-Ann said...

My dad was also an engineer and also died when I was at school - it was a very big loss.

Thanks for doing this it was very nice to learn more about you :-)