Thursday, 4 October 2007

A not so normal Wednesday

Yesterday around lunch I had a private lesson to learn how I can piece my top together for my Star Quilt. There was some maths involved but Aagje figured it out for me. Aagje is my quilt teacher.
In first instance we both thought I had made too many blocks, a feeling of disappointment and frustration swept over me. This can’t be true! I nearly worked my fingers to the bone last summer. But all became clear once we looked thru the pattern book. A little note was left on one of the backsides of the pattern sheets with my name. We had looked at the wrong pattern. Luckily, we didn’t have to do too much re-measuring and mathematics.
Now I only have to slice all the strips of fabric to make the sashing and piece them between the blocks. I have 4 long strips of 2.45 meters and 4 strips of 1.96 cm, sixteen strips of 30 cm, and another 4 strips of 75 cm. That is a lot of sashing. And let’s not start discussing the border that needs to be fitted afterwards.

I also bought some clothes for my self as I had some time to spare; a skirt, 2 t-shirts and a cardigan. Can wear this to work, but can wear this also when at home, very practical.

Some of my readers left me a message that I don’t post often enough. I hope I make these readers happy with this post.

My friend, Mirjam, and I wanted to celebrate our 20 years of friendship. We met each other on our first working day at the hospital in 1987. We got talking during the introduction program. She was going to start as a midwife and I as a nurse. A lot has happened and changed in those 20 years. She has always been there in good times and bad. She was one of my ''paranifm's '' during my PhD ceremony.
As Mirjam also likes to quilt, we decided to do a workshop together. We searched everywhere and finally came back to the Quilt Cellar in Putten. This will mean some travelling for Mirjam as she lives about an hours drive away. Coming January we are going to learn to make a Kaleidoscope Quilt in a day. Looking forward to this. Have been searching the web for some nice patterns, I’ve found some nice ones but if you have any suggestions, please e-mail me and send a photo.

I’ve been a little busy bee. I’ve arrange a Christmas workshop at my home coming december. We are going to make a little Christmas tree quilt. I’ll be serving cakes and coffee and naturally I will also make lunch for the girls. In between, we have lots of time to do some sewing and chatting. We are a chatty bunch of ladies! If any of you have a recipe for an alcohol free Christmas punch, please send me your recipe. I think the ladies will like this.

No comments: