Friday, 21 September 2007

First lesson of the autumn quilt season

Finally, it was the first class of our autumn quilt course. In this course we will learn how to make compasses, paper piercing and applique. Everyone was very excited and feelings of anticipation could hardly be contained. As usual we were very chatty.
Different compasses were shown. Aagje, our teacher, showed some beautiful quilts and some not so nice. There are so many patterns. Unbelievable how many different compass patterns there are! It became quickly clear who liked the circles in the middle of some of the compass patterns shown and who didn’t. This will influence some of us in our choices of patterns. We also had to decide if we wanted to make a quilt, cushion or bag. Also we had to decide on the size of the compass.
Me, who likes the small, finely detailed things, has decided to make small compasses. The size of every compass will be 15x 15cm. Very petite! I’m taking on another challenge.
The layout and colour scheme was also discussed, as was the effect of using darker and lighter colours.
Time flu by, before we knew it, it was 10 pm. The course starts at 7.30 pm. As some of us were a little slow, as a lot had to be learned, a few of us stayed on till 10.30 pm. It was a late night!

This morning when I woke up, I knew I had made the wrong decision. I felt so tired. It was hard to go and sit behind my computer and do some work for my day job.

By the way, I finished all the blocks for my star quilt. I now only have to assemble all the blocks (arrange them in such a way that I get the optimal effect) and sew everything together to complete the quilt top. Aagje offered to help me with this stage. On the 3rd of October we have an appointment. Once the quilt top is complete, I can plan a quilting bee to assemble the quilt. I will need some help from my quilt friends. It won’t be easy to sandwich the quilt. I know which batting I will use: cotton. I won’t wash it before hand. If you don’t wash the batting till after the quilt is completely quilted it looks like it is an old, antique quilt. I like this effect. I still however need to choose the backing. Any suggestions are welcome. I think I might use the dark green fabric as backing. What do you think?

I hope to plan a get-together sometime end of October or the beginning of November. I hope that some of the crazy quilters have nothing planned so that they can help me sandwich my star quilt.

As it has been a very busy week I’m very behind on reading all my tagged blogs. What has been happening out there in Quiltland? I’m a little curious, will have to find some time tonight, to catch up with everyone.

Tomorrow, some of the crazy quilters are having an other fun day of patchwork, quilting, applique etc. We have to get up really early as we are going to Atelier Bep in Doesburg. I'll let you know what I made. Maybe I will make some photos too and show what the others did. I think it is great that Jacqueline, took the initiative to organize this day. I was also happy to read that she is also busy with Christmas preparations :).

Here is a photo of my silly lazy cats. Enjoying the sun.

No comments: