Monday, 27 August 2007

Our weekend with UK guests

This weekend our friends arrived for a visit. They flew to Germany to first spend a day at the Nürburgring. JW goes there a lot and this time he went to pick them up there. I couldn’t go along for the ride as JW has a ‘small’ (but fast) car. He would be unable to fit 4 people and luggage! Saterday we went to Putten to do some shopping for the kids. Nic likes the children fashion that the Netherlands provides. They bought lots of t-shirts and jumpers.
We had a great diner in the evening at a restaurant in Garderen. Sadly, we took no pictures for others to see. Sunday, we went to Marken, a real tourist attraction, but give’s a good impression of Holland long ago. It is well-known for its characteristic wooden houses. It’s also a old fishing village. We saw no one looking remotely like these people in the pictures


No, really, we saw no one walking in clogs. And, know one was wearing the traditional national dress.
Did you know that I have some real Dutch wooden clogs! I use them when I work in the garden. They are however a little hard to walk in, I do have to admit.

We drove from Marken to the Afsluitdijk. The Afsluitdijk (English: Closure Dike) is a major dike in the Netherlands, constructed between 1927 and 1933 and running from Den Oever on Wieringen in North Holland province, to the village of Zurich in Friesland province, over a length of 32 km and a width of 90 meters, at an initial height of 7.25 meters above sea-level.
Once we came into Friesland we decided to drive back home, to enjoy the BBQ I had planned. The drive back took us about 1 1/2 hours. We came home a little later then I had planned :)
This afternoon (Monday) I dropped them off at Schiphol, our national airport. They will be arriving in Stansted, England, around dinnertime.
It was a great weekend, especially as I could converse in English

Tonight I might get some piecing done, after not having done anything for 3 whole days! The next couple of weeks I really need to make some more effort, will I have pieced the remaining 5 blocks before the 20th of September. But we do need our goals!

This is me with my new glasses.

No comments: