Monday, 16 July 2007

Wales, a small impression of our holiday



In May we went to Wales by car. We used Speedferries at Boulogne-Sur-Mer, France to get to England. We arrived in Dover and drove up north to Matt and Nic’s place. The next day we drove towards Wales. But we first made a stop at Iron Bridge.




We entered Wales near Llangollen. We drove up to Colwyn Bay then down tot Betws-y-Coed to Frongoch. Here was our B&B, near Bala. One of the things we did was take a ride in a steam train from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog.




Snowdonia is terrific. I think I would love to buy a house there, but I love the Netherlands, my family and my job!
We went through betws-Y-Coed area twice. I love Craghoppers. They have great outdoor clothes. And in Betws-Y-Ccoed they have lots of outdoor clothes shops :)


At the restaurant in Bala they played the music of Dylan Rowlands – Telynor Portmeirion. A great cd, which I bought the next day. Sadly, once in the Netherlands, we found out that the cd had no music on it. (The company is going to refund me the amount I payed!)
We did the coastal route! From Bala to Dolgellau onto the A493. The welsh coast is fantastic. From Abrystwyth we made an attempt to find Devil’s Bridge. Cassie, JW’s Garmin navigation system decided to lead us the quickest route, a one-way road, to Devil’s Bridge. After a while we gave up, and decide to travel onto Llanybydder, Ceredigion.



I really wanted to visit Jen Jones Welsh Quilts really badly. Sadly, once we arrived in Llanybydder we found that no one was there.
See my disappointed face.

We waited a while but no one turned up. I learned my lesson the hard way. Next time I will phone first and make an appointment.

We travelled on to our next B&B. Sadly; I wasn’t very impressed with the reception as with the hygiene of the place. Late in the afternoon we decided to travel on to Swansea, using Premier Travel Inn.
From Swansea we travelled on to Brecon. The Beacons National Park is another great place to visit. It was there I found out my walking shoes had finally given up, after 16 odd years. They were a great buy. Naturally, we bought new ones in the next large town we visited.

We also decided to visit the Cottwolds, on our way back to Matt and Nic’s place. A small impression of one of the villages. It was amazing how many houses were on sale in this area.





JW really hoped we would see Jeremy Clarkson. We drove through Chipping Norton twice :).
Here is my next car! Land Rover Freelander. JW is getting ready to make a photo.

As you can see Wales is just great. England (the Cottwolds) was also good. It was a busy holiday; we did a lot of kilometres. I would love to go back and stay a while in the Snowdonia National Park or the Beacons National Park and rent a little cottage for a week or two. Maybe I would then have some time to do some quilting :)


No comments: